Thread: Installation OK, but not the configuration, help please

Remoz is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Installation OK, but not the configuration, help please

Hello,
    i've Zimbra 5.0.18 on CentOS 5.3 fresh install, yum update, sendmail removed, fetchmail installed, zimbra installed without warning or errors.
    I've two big problems:
    my office have only a little workgroup (es: MYWRKGRP), not a local domain, but we have a internet domain with a maintainer (es: myinternetdomain.com) and some email address like user@myinternetdomain.com.
    I've set up zimbra installation (and centos network) with both configuration: first time centos domain = MYWRKGRP, centos host = ZIMBRA, and the result in zimbra console is a domain = zimbra.mywrkgrp and users: user@zimbra.mywrkgrp.
    Second time centos domain = myinternetdomain.com, centos hostname = zimbra (i must give a hostname, it's true?), and the result: user@zimbra.myinternetdomain.com.

In both cases the generic user mail address is different from the real mail address!

Important: i don't want give to my zimbra box the role of master mail server, i want zimbra box downloading mail from maintainer mail server (pop3) and put them into users zimbra mailbox. And when a user send a mail, i want zimbra relay the mail to the smtp server of the maintainer.

How i must configure zimbra to do these thing correctly?? Help me please!

Bye and many thanks!!

Robert

Huh, i've a 2nd problem (i think this affect only the mail sending...), with zimbra freshly installed i've all services OK, when i reboot my box, MTA service is down and stay down.
    I've tried troubleshooting with postfix, but nothing, doesn't start anyway! This problem can depend from my 1st problem?

Thanks, bye

Robert

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I guess you're behind a NAT router? If you are you'll need a Split DNS set-up. I'd suggest you give your internal LAN a valid domain name and don't use upper-case letters in any of the DNS records nor in your hosts file. You'll also need a valid /etc/hosts file, check the Quick Start Installation Guide for the format.

If you wish to download mail from an external source then search the forums for the word 'fetchmail', if your outgoing mail relay needs authentication then search the wiki for the word 'relay'.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    I guess you're behind a NAT router? If you are you'll need a Split DNS set-up. I'd suggest you give your internal LAN a valid domain name and don't use upper-case letters in any of the DNS records nor in your hosts file. You'll also need a valid /etc/hosts file, check the Quick Start Installation Guide for the format.

If you wish to download mail from an external source then search the forums for the word 'fetchmail', if your outgoing mail relay needs authentication then search the wiki for the word 'relay'.
    Hello, thanks for you quick reply!
    I go read fetchmail and relay forum contents, but i ask you: i really need split dns if my local zimbra download mail from pop3.myinternetdomain.com and send mail to smtp.myinternetdomain.com? Or it's only if i want my zimbra server is reachable from outside my local LAN?

Many thanks.

Robert

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You need a local DNS server (split DNS) so Zimbra (postfix) can resolve it's own IP address.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You need a local DNS server (split DNS) so Zimbra (postfix) can resolve it's own IP address.
    ok, tnx a lot, i try now!

Thread Information