Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: system email being sent to wrong domain

Dirk is offline Moderator

Default system email being sent to wrong domain

An odd one this, and I've tried and tried to work it out but I'm failing miserably.

Short version: daily system report emails are being sent to the address root@hostname.domain.co.uk rather than to root@domain.co.uk

More info. When I installed, I remember the install complaining that it didnt have an MX record configured, but the default address it was looking at was hostname.domain.co.uk (I accepted this the first time and it all went wrong, so I started again from scratch) so I change that entry to just domain.co.uk and it all works fine, but it seems that the server is confused about what it's own email address is.

This means that the daily reports were ending up stuck in the queue, as a work around - I've configured an additional domain in the admin console and added an alias to my account so the mail can be routed correctly, but of course I'm more interested in a real fix.

I recon theres a config file somewhere that needs editing, but I've looked at quite a few and so far Ive not found anything that looks right.

I hope I've managed to explain this well enough that someone can help.

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Try zmlocalconfig | grep hostname see if it pops up there.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Hi, yes the results of that are:

mail:~ # su - zimbra
    zimbra@mail:~> zmlocalconfig | grep hostname
    zimbra_server_hostname = mail.domain.co.uk

But I read that as being correct, I mean, is that not the fully qualified host name?

KevinH is offline Expert Member

This is in the crontab

# Daily reports
    #
    10 1 * * * /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmdailyreport | /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/sendmail root

We send to root by default so you can hack it to just edit this address. In general we need to make this configurable. If you domain name matches the system name then it would just work since the root account will alias to your admin account. So for now you can work around it but feel free to file a bug to correct this going forward.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Thank you, I'll file a bug report once I get it solved and workng, so I uderstand the problem enough to describe it succinctly.

I do indeed find the line you mention when I type crontab -l the problem is I'm not sure what I should be changing. I dont mind the message being sent to root, it's just that it's being sent to root@mail.domain.co.uk rather than root@domain.co.uk, and I see only the username in the line you quote.

Sorry if I'm being a little thick here, but could you tell me the path and filename of the file which needs editing?

Achim.Theobald is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk
    Thank you, I'll file a bug report once I get it solved and workng, so I uderstand the problem enough to describe it succinctly.

I do indeed find the line you mention when I type crontab -l the problem is I'm not sure what I should be changing. I dont mind the message being sent to root, it's just that it's being sent to root@mail.domain.co.uk rather than root@domain.co.uk, and I see only the username in the line you quote.

Sorry if I'm being a little thick here, but could you tell me the path and filename of the file which needs editing?
    Hint, use webmin to change the crontabs. Or in your case change the file: /opt/zimbra/zimbramon/crontabs/crontab.logger

Cu

Hmm, I think I'm starting to get more confused here. I dont see anywhere in the webadmin to make a change to the crontab (I assume this is a task sheduler, similar to the windows tool AT ?)

When I view the content of the file you mention, I get:

Code:
    #
    # crontab.logger
    #
    # process logs
    #
    00,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmlogprocess > /tmp/logprocess.out 2>&1
    #
    # Graph generation
    #
    10 * * * * /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmgengraphs >> /tmp/gengraphs.out 2>&1
    #
    # Daily reports
    #
    10 1 * * * /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmdailyreport | /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/sendmail root
    In my mind, I'm looking for a line somewhere that states the to: address that the email containing the daily report gets sent to, and I cant find that anywhere. So I'm either looking in the wrong places or looking for the wrong things.

Also, for testing this out, how can I manually initiate the daily report email, rather then waiting to 4am for it to be sent?

Achim.Theobald is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk
    Hmm, I think I'm starting to get more confused here. I dont see anywhere in the webadmin to make a change to the crontab (I assume this is a task sheduler, similar to the windows tool AT ?)

When I view the content of the file you mention, I get:

Code:
    #
    # crontab.logger
    #
    # process logs
    #
    00,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmlogprocess > /tmp/logprocess.out 2>&1
    #
    # Graph generation
    #
    10 * * * * /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmgengraphs >> /tmp/gengraphs.out 2>&1
    #
    # Daily reports
    #
    In my mind, I'm looking for a line somewhere that states the to: address that the email containing the daily report gets sent to, and I cant find that anywhere. So I'm either looking in the wrong places or looking for the wrong things.

Also, for testing this out, how can I manually initiate the daily report email, rather then waiting to 4am for it to be sent?
    Sorry, i mean the Configurationstool "webmin" from www.webmin.com

Look here:

The last word ist "root", change this in the destination address "root@domain.co.uk"

Cu

Thank you, I've made that change now and I'll look into webmin in a moment. With luck the report will be sent to the right address when I check in the morning. I'm going to assume that the services will need restarting and just reboot the whole server to be on the safe side

Well, into work this morning and greeted with a system email still being sent to the wrong address, here's some headers from the email:

Code:
    Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1])
    	by mail.domain.co.uk (Postfix) with ESMTP id A3B4E8F98
    	for ; Fri, 26 May 2006 01:10:16 +0100 (BST)
    Received: from mail.domain.co.uk ([127.0.0.1])
     by localhost (mail.domain.co.uk [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024)
     with ESMTP id 05819-01 for ;
     Fri, 26 May 2006 01:10:04 +0100 (BST)
    Received: by mail.domain.co.uk (Postfix, from userid 1000)
    	id 27DA51144E; Fri, 26 May 2006 01:10:04 +0100 (BST)
    Subject: Daily mail report from 2006-05-25 00:00:00 to 2006-05-26 00:00:00
    Message-Id: <20060526001004.27DA51144E@mail.domain.co.uk>
    Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 01:10:04 +0100 (BST)
    I've no idea about the on@domain.co.uk address, I'm ignoring this for now, but you can see here that the system email is being sent, apparently by the zimbra user, but the email address being sent from is wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information