Thread: Zimbra or something else?

Stephan_84 is offline New Member

Unhappy Zimbra or something else?

Hi,

i am planning to install Zimbra. Is it possible to install the open source Version on debian etch. Then use Zindus to sync Thuderbird Contacts and use FinchSync to sync the contacts to a Mobile device? Or is there a way to sync my Windows Mobile Phone directly with Zimbra, maybe via WLAN? I don't need the E-Mails on my Phone, but the Contacts.

Or is there an easier solution for this scenario? I just want to have ONE Calendar, ONE copy of my E-Mails (downloaded from a pop3 account) with web access. ... Installed on my Homeserver. Is eGroupWare the better choice, oder Kolap?

Sorry for all these questions and my bad english, but maybe you guys can help me

davecowen5 is offline Intermediate Member

We've run the open source version of Zimbra just fine on Etch in the past, before we moved to the Network Edition.

Your Windows Mobile phone can sync contacts "over the air" with Zimbra using ActiveSync, and it works very well, but support for that is only included in the Network Edition, not the open source version.

Is there a reason you really need this to be on a home server? You can get a hosted Zimbra Network Edition account with 01.com for just $50 a year, even with a custom domain, and that would give you the web interface, over the air calendar and contact sync, and POP3 access you're looking for.

Zimbra + Funambol is the solution, right?

Quote Originally Posted by davecowen5 View Post
    We've run the open source version of Zimbra just fine on Etch in the past, before we moved to the Network Edition.

Your Windows Mobile phone can sync contacts "over the air" with Zimbra using ActiveSync, and it works very well, but support for that is only included in the Network Edition, not the open source version.

Is there a reason you really need this to be on a home server? You can get a hosted Zimbra Network Edition account with 01.com for just $50 a year, even with a custom domain, and that would give you the web interface, over the air calendar and contact sync, and POP3 access you're looking for.
    Hi Dave,

Thank you for the informations, i would like to have my private data (contacts and e-mail addresses) local on my homeserver.... maybe i am a bit paranoid
    Last edited by Stephan_84; 05-21-2009 at 12:52 PM.

Thread Information