Thread: ZCS 6.0 and Mac OS 10.5

ewilen is offline Moderator

Default ZCS 6.0 and Mac OS 10.5

According to Zimbra Product Portal, "Mac OS X 10.5 (Intel)" will be among the platforms for ZCS 6.0 NE.

Can one infer a commitment to supporting Leopard as a server platform for GnR? I realize that GnR is itself in beta and things can happen before it's released as GA, but it seems that ZCS 5.x NE for Mac OS 10.5 is languishing in beta and may never emerge.

(Note that new Macs can no longer run Mac OS 10.4.)

Also, and as a few have mentioned in other threads, the Product Portal lists Mac OS 10.4 as EOL. If I understand correctly, this means that after ZCS 6, there will no longer be NE for 10.4.

I hope this means that Zimbra is planning on introducing 10.6 support as 10.4 is phased out, but it would be nice to get some kind of assurance.

brian is offline Project Contributor

Apple has not announced a release date for Snow Leopard (10.6) so it would premature to announce ZCS support.

We continue to see sporadic reports of problems around 10.5 that seem to be related to IPV6 enabled interfaces as well as lookupd not returning proper results. Disabling IPV6 on the network interfaces appears to resolve issues reported, although we have not been able to completely reproduce the error in our labs so it's hard to verify the underlying problem.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Brian, I appreciate your response. I wouldn't expect you to confirm ZCS support for 10.6--just hoping out loud that the EOLing of 10.4 will mean firmer support for newer OSes.

Ignoring that, the problem right now is that ZCS NE for 10.5 is still marked as Beta which--correct me if I'm wrong--means it's not supported and not recommended for production systems. It seems the problems that are blocking 5.x NE GA for 10.5 don't apply to some configurations. In that case is there some way that those configs could be broken out and officially supported?

See e.g. mmorse's comments in Leopard + 5.0.10?

brian is offline Project Contributor

We will likely lift the beta tag and release as GA with the known issues/workarounds in GNR. Those same workarounds apply to 5.0.x releases as well, namely disabling IPV6.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Thread Information