Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: Upgrade to Zimbra 6 Beta from 5.xx issues

  1. #11
    linxunet is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport, South Wales, UK
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Upgrade to Zimbra 6 Beta from 5.xx issues

    Hi Brian,

    I will take a look at this over this weekend, BUT I have to say, that I have managed to upgrade from versions 5.0 to 5.12 with the domain disclaimer in-place without any problems.

    The domain disclaimer plays such an important role for my clients installations, that if this indeed is breaking the upgrade path then it would really put a dent in my relationship with my clients.

    Kind regards

    Kerry

  2. #12
    linxunet is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport, South Wales, UK
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Hi Brian,

    I will also find the log file from the 5.10 to 5.12 upgrade and attach it to this post over the weekend.

    Kind regards

    Kerry

  3. #13
    linxunet is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport, South Wales, UK
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Upgrade to Zimbra 6 Beta from 5.xx issues

    Here is the log file from the 5.10 to 5.14 upgrade, which does not exhibit the issues with the 6 beta upgrade.

    Kind regards

    Kerry
    Attached Files Attached Files

  4. #14
    quanah is offline Zimbra Employee
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Zimbra
    Posts
    1,276
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by linxunet View Post
    Hi Brian,

    I will take a look at this over this weekend, BUT I have to say, that I have managed to upgrade from versions 5.0 to 5.12 with the domain disclaimer in-place without any problems.
    This worked because 5.0.x to other 5.0.y upgrades don't reload the LDAP database, so if the schema is out of sync during the upgrade process, nothing fails. However, when you go from 5.0.x to 6.0.y, the database is completely dumped via slapcat, and then reloaded. This is because both the OpenLDAP and BDB versions changed significantly. Prior to doing any 5.0.x to 6.0.y upgrade, any custom schema modifications must be loaded in. I'm still writing up the documentation on how to do this, which is why upgrades where custom schema are involved are not supported currently. They will be for 6.0 beta 2. Once I get the instructions written, you can certainly try the 5.0.x -> 6.0.y upgrade with them (there's nothing specific to Beta 2 about the process).

    However, I'd need to have more data on what specifically you've done, schema wise, to even know if your data is able to be validly ported.

    For example, if you modified the existing zimbra objectClasses to include your new attributes, then you will need to manually fixed your data to be using your own auxiliary objectclass with those attributes prior to loading it.

    If you created your own auxiliary objectClass already, with your own attributes (which of course, should be suitably named, like "myCustomAttr" not "zimbraXYZattr", as anything prefixed with zimbra means it is a zimbra attribute) it should be fairly straight forward for you to do this once I finish the instructions on how to do so.

    --Quanah
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

  5. #15
    linxunet is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport, South Wales, UK
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Upgrade to Zimbra 6 Beta from 5.xx issues

    HI Quanah,

    We followed the following global disclaimer :

    Domain Disclaimer Extension Admin UI - Zimbra :: Wiki

    However, I ma not sure what has happened during my upgrade process from version 5.0 but I can not find these within the zimbra.scheme, so am at a loss as to what to correct.

    I am proposing to use the ZimbraDesktop to save the various test accounts data and do a fresh install of the Zimbra test server and configure from scratch.

    I will then then re-import the data via the ZimbraDesktop and upgrade to Zimbra Beta6 once this has been completed and post my results.

    Kind regards

    Kerry

  6. #16
    quanah is offline Zimbra Employee
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Zimbra
    Posts
    1,276
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by linxunet View Post
    HI Quanah,

    We followed the following global disclaimer :

    Domain Disclaimer Extension Admin UI - Zimbra :: Wiki
    Wow, there are so many things wrong with this wiki, I'm not sure where to begin. Obviously, that's not your fault. But basically, at this point, anyone using this domain disclaimer extension cannot upgrade to 6.0. I'll see what can be worked out about it.

    --Quanah
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

  7. #17
    powrrrplay is offline Special Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    119
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quanah View Post
    This worked because 5.0.x to other 5.0.y upgrades don't reload the LDAP database, so if the schema is out of sync during the upgrade process, nothing fails. However, when you go from 5.0.x to 6.0.y, the database is completely dumped via slapcat, and then reloaded. This is because both the OpenLDAP and BDB versions changed significantly. Prior to doing any 5.0.x to 6.0.y upgrade, any custom schema modifications must be loaded in. I'm still writing up the documentation on how to do this, which is why upgrades where custom schema are involved are not supported currently. They will be for 6.0 beta 2. Once I get the instructions written, you can certainly try the 5.0.x -> 6.0.y upgrade with them (there's nothing specific to Beta 2 about the process).

    However, I'd need to have more data on what specifically you've done, schema wise, to even know if your data is able to be validly ported.

    For example, if you modified the existing zimbra objectClasses to include your new attributes, then you will need to manually fixed your data to be using your own auxiliary objectclass with those attributes prior to loading it.

    If you created your own auxiliary objectClass already, with your own attributes (which of course, should be suitably named, like "myCustomAttr" not "zimbraXYZattr", as anything prefixed with zimbra means it is a zimbra attribute) it should be fairly straight forward for you to do this once I finish the instructions on how to do so.

    --Quanah
    Quanah, it is a few days past the zcs 6.0 BETA 2 release date. Any idea on when the BETA 2 will be released?

  8. #18
    quanah is offline Zimbra Employee
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Zimbra
    Posts
    1,276
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by powrrrplay View Post
    Quanah, it is a few days past the zcs 6.0 BETA 2 release date. Any idea on when the BETA 2 will be released?
    D2 is now scheduled for 5/22. The Zimbra Product Portal site should be updated soon with the correct date.

    The problem in this thread will not be fixed with D2, as it requires the author of the domain disclaimer extension to fix the myriad of problems with it. You can read over the issues at Bug 37698 – Domain Disclaimer Extension non-portable

    --Quanah
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

  9. #19
    linxunet is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport, South Wales, UK
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Thanks for the Info Quanah.

    I have not yet used the Zimbra Desktop to import my current 5.14 data as I have been busy with other projects, will get around to it soon. For my testing purposes I will negate the use of the Global Disclaimer and test it with the B2 release of Zimbra Open Source edition 6 as soon as I can.

    Kind regards

    Kerry

  10. #20
    alvaroarb's Avatar
    alvaroarb is offline Partner (VAR/HSP)
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bogota - Colombia
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    5

    Unhappy Disclaimer script ruines upgrade to 6

    Evening to all
    I'm afraid i'm a victim of this disclaimer extension Yesterday i decided to upgrade my company zimbra server from 5.0.18 to 6, did my homework read the correspondent documentation, did a couple upgrade tests on virtual machines an then attacked my server ... but i didn't took into account this Domain Disclaimer Extension Admin UI issue, never crossed my mind, and after the error just froze my heart i have just realized that my backups are all wrong and don't work ... but, i see i have a file called ldap.bak in /opt/zimbra/data/ldap which contains a fresh and ok ldif backup of my users and domains (luckily) and the /opt/zimbra/db/data/ folder seems to contain my SQL data ... so what are my options at this point? my guess:

    a) Try install 6 and then migrate SQL and LDAP data
    b) back to 5.0.18

    Option a) didn't work ... maybe i don't know how or in all these hours haven't found the right post in the forum
    Option b) tried, to but the installer informed me i can't downgrade from 6 to 5, so, situation leds me to option

    c) mv /opt/zimbra /opt/zimbra.bak and then do a fresh 5.0.18 install and try to recover there my data

    So, can i do it? if so, would you please point me how exactly? or maybe, if i uninstall 6 and make a fresh 5.0.18 install will it also wipe all data?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. [SOLVED] Moving Zimbra to a new server
    By krolen in forum Administrators
    Replies: 109
    Last Post: 02-05-2009, 11:38 AM
  2. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-15-2007, 09:05 PM
  3. Zimbra shutdowns every n hours.
    By Andrewb in forum Administrators
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-14-2007, 08:55 AM
  4. zmtlsctl give LDAP error
    By sourcehound in forum Administrators
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-11-2007, 03:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •