Thread: Zimbra with an existing ldap

eduardo is offline Starter Member

Default Zimbra with an existing ldap

Hello People!
    I Have an Ldap configured with slapd (Openldap + Samba domain) where the workstation and users are authenticated.
    I need to install an e-mail solution, so I want to try Zimbra, but I found some problems.

Do zimbra needs a specified ldap base or it can works with any ldap database (i.e. My database)

Someone have a how to install zimbra using an existing ldap base?
    Thank you!

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

This is covered many times in the forums, you must install the ZImbra LDAP and provision all users in that and you can then use your external LDAP for authentication.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

eduardo is offline Starter Member

Thank you bill... So let me see if I understood.
    In anither words, i'll have 2 ldap bases? My actual ldap (samba) and another onde for zimbra, but ill configure zimbra to authenticate only in my actual DB.. Thats it?
    And if I want to setup zimbra at the same server of my LDAP samba databse? Zimbra's openldap will destroy my actual database?

Thank You for helping!

Well, obviously, you can't run two LDAP servers on the same hardware but you can use Samba extensions in Zimbra LDAP.
    Regards

Bill

jorgemop is offline Intermediate Member

Question ldap/samba and new zimbra

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Well, obviously, you can't run two LDAP servers on the same hardware but you can use Samba extensions in Zimbra LDAP.
    Hi, i need to clarify this point, its important for all users, its a common situation to install Zimbra with an existing Openldap.

I'm glad to ear your advice

i have a openldap CentOSx64 fully functional with a search base dc=zcs,dc=com (its for test only)

and other CentOSx64 for ZCS (Zimbra collaboration server) only:

1- install all components of ZCS
    2- Main Menu --> ldap section select my domain: zcs.com, and ldap options (here is the problem)

select my Openldap server or the installation of ZCS at this point?

I know that in GUI in Domains-->LDAP Mechanism i select external ldap and configure the Bind and filter, i made it but the authentication with external users fail. I think that a i need to make a replica process before. is this true?

Any comment or reference y well receive.

Thax and excuse my English.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemop View Post
    Hi, i need to clarify this point, its important for all users, its a common situation to install Zimbra with an existing Openldap.
    I thought your quote of my previous post answered this question? Obviously that's not the case so I'll say it again, you cannot run two LDAP servers on the same server (they would both be using the same port) and you cannot use another LDAP server instead of the one installed with Zimbra (ZCS openLDAP is used for more than for just authentication).
    Regards

Bill

understand: run two LDAP servers on the same server = fail & you cannot use another LDAP server instead of the one installed with Zimbra, this is the problem than i have in the documents say "Zimbra permits the use of external LDAP servers per domain for end user authentication" (LDAP Authentication - Zimbra :: Wiki), its true? if possible manage the users of my zimbra ldap with my openldap server.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemop View Post
    understand: run two LDAP servers on the same server = fail & you cannot use another LDAP server instead of the one installed with Zimbra, this is the problem than i have in the documents say "Zimbra permits the use of external LDAP servers per domain for end user authentication" (LDAP Authentication - Zimbra :: Wiki), its true? if possible manage the users of my zimbra ldap with my openldap server.
    Yes, of course it's true but they can't exist on the same server.
    Regards

Bill

right, i'm in good way, thanks for reply.
    In the first quote i detailed than has two server, first one, a Openldap Server fully functional with a search base dc=zcs,dc=com (its for test only) (The DNS service its on other server apart). And the second one, other CentOSx64 for ZCS (Zimbra collaboration server).

I realize the process of bind the two servers, in the installation of ZCS configure the ldap attributes with the info of the local server, i mean the zimbra server (name, port, domain, ldap admin password, etc.)

Later after install process realize this steps LDAP Authentication - Zimbra :: Wiki, and the test going well for ldap athentication, for GAL not working (but i thing that its for the port, this is not very important)

The question: how login the ldap user (for Openldap server, the firs one) in zimbra mail server? i can manage mail groups? the changes that i realize in the users of my Openldap server be reflected in the Zimbra server? how populate or synchronize the Openldap server and ZCS ldap component?

Mr Bill i appreciated to much your help at this point. i read every doc related and not found the answers for this topics.

Thread Information