Thread: Zimbra-Ldap Replication Help in existing environment...

Diranged is offline Intermediate Member

Default Zimbra-Ldap Replication Help in existing environment...

I'm running Zimbra OSS 5.0.14 in a live environment right now and its working fine on its own. Over the weekend I tried twice to implement a backup LDAP server (we use LDAP for ALOT of things here) and had major problems. Each time it ended up taking down mail for an hour while I fixed it...

I tried to follow the LDAP Sync guide in the wiki here (LDAP - Zimbra :: Wiki). The guide says to setup another host and install Zimbra on it. You setup a few special settings during the install, and thats about it.

I got that working just fine ... but what I found was as soon as "ldap-copy.myhost.com" synced with "master-zimbra.myhost.com" a bunch of settings on "master-zimbra" changed. Things like the logHost setting changed to be "ldap-copy" instead of "master-zimbra" -- yet I had disabled all services on "ldap-copy" other than zimbra-ldap. This went un-noticed until I loged into the Admin WebUI and it complained about not being able to reach a host (connection refused). From there I tried to restart the "master-zimbra" services and Zimbra wouldnt even load up... the local LDAP database refused to start until I manually forced "ldap_bind_url" to be the "master-zimbra" hostname. I have no idea why it was empty, but the ldap start script wouldnt startup without it being something.

Nearly this exact thing happened twice in a row ... so I'm hesitant to try again, but we really need to get this running. Is there a way to setup zimbra-ldap without all the other stuff (mta, logger, etc)?

Anyone have any help? I really need to get the replication going as soon as possible...

quanah is offline Zimbra Employee

Quote Originally Posted by Diranged View Post
    Nearly this exact thing happened twice in a row ... so I'm hesitant to try again, but we really need to get this running. Is there a way to setup zimbra-ldap without all the other stuff (mta, logger, etc)?
    Did you read the multi-server guide, which details how to install an ldap replica?

The only package you need to install on a replica is zimbra-ldap (and of course zimbra-core). zimbra-mta, etc, is not necessary.
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

I read the specific guidelines listed in the LDAP Replication wiki article -- are these not valid? (LDAP - Zimbra :: Wiki)

Specifically where it says "Use standard install.sh options, including the zimbra-ldap server."

I would advise reading the official docs, since they are more detailed. The wiki is correct, but very sparse on detail.
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Diranged View Post
    Specifically where it says "Use standard install.sh options, including the zimbra-ldap server."
    Well, there are options to install.sh. That line is fairly ambiguous, and I understand why you may assume that means to install all packages. The only one you must install for a replica is zimbra-ldap, as I previously noted.
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------

Ok thanks ... So I've done that, and got it working. The one thign I ran into is that I have a few addons to my zimbra-ldap setup on the master server that were not in place on the slave when it started up, so I believe it has ignored a bunch of entries. Now that I implemented them (nis.schema, samba.schema), I restarted LDAP on the slave and it has not picked up the accounts that did not transfer originally. Is there a "clean" way to start the sync process over from scratch now?

Yes. As the zimbra user on the replica:
    1) stop slapd - ldap stop
    2) cd /opt/zimbra/openldap-data
    3) /opt/zimbra/sleepycat/bin/db_recover
    4) rm -rf *.bdb alock
    5) rm -rf logs/*
    6) start slapd

This will delete the current DB and have it resync.

Once 6.0 is out, the schema issue will be permanently fixable. Generally on upgrades (and new installs of replicas) you will want to run install.sh -s with 5.0.x, and modify the slapd.conf.in file before running zmsetup.pl so that the schemas you are loading are included before the upgrade (or new replication) occurs.
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------

Perfect, thank you! That worked beautifully.

Thread Information