Thread: 5.0.8 to 5.0.15 Upgrade OK -- One Freakout Moment However...

LMStone is offline Moderator

Default 5.0.8 to 5.0.15 Upgrade OK -- One Freakout Moment However...

We upgraded from 5.0.8 to 5.0.15 a few days ago with no issues at all during the upgrade. The improvements to the Admin Console alone are worth the upgrade (mailbox moves across servers now work as do GoDaddy SSL cert installs). Kudos once again to Zimbra!

Today however we had a major freakout moment that turned out to be nothing, but I thought our posting this might save someone else a visit to the ER.

And on a more serious note, it would be nice if these kinds of changes found their way into the Release Notes please.

We use COS to control most end-user settings because we have scripts that automate our invoicing, and we have different billing levels based on the COS. Plus, we also have COSs that ensure HIPAA-compliance for our medical practice clients who require that, and COSs that are not HIPAA-compliant for other businesses that don't need that level of security. So, being able to manage COSs from the Admin Console is very core to the success of our business.

In practice, when a client asks to change some aspect of their account, we almost always make that change by changing the mailbox's COS.

So today, when we went to do that for one major client, the dropdown to select the COS was gone--not just on that mailbox, but on every mailbox we tried. All of a sudden, it looked like the 5.0.15 upgrade made it impossible to change a mailbox's COS via the Admin Console!

To say we were beginning to freak out would be an understatement! Unhappy clients! Broken billing! Uh oh!!!

But then, one of our engineers who had previously been a web developer suggested backspacing over the existing COS entry field, and when we did, lo and behold we found all of our COS began to appear.

It seems somewhere between 5.0.8 and 5.0.15 the input methodology for the mailbox COS field in the Admin Console had been changed from a simple dropdown to a "smart" lookup.

Now, to be fair, we LOVE this change, because we have a LOT of COSs, and the old drop down scrolled nearly the height of the screen.

But Zimbra, please! Next time you make a change like this tell us about it! Zimbra's feature list is quite extensive, but cardiac stress testing isn't one of the features we want from Zimbra!

Other than that, 5.0.15 is, after a few days, totally stable and appears to be a little "snappier" in rendering the UI for end users as well.

Best regards to all,
    Mark

nufan is offline Senior Member

We don't use CoS ourselves, but to be fair to Zimbra, it does quite clearly say "enter search item" in the "smart" lookup, so to me it makes sense, maybe thats just me though. I do agree though that a change like this should probably be in the release notes if indeed it wasn't like you say.

5.0.15 seems good to me too since the upgrade ! Only problem is the logger stopping automatically for us using OSX.

Thread Information