Thread: Hosting two email domains in zimbra -- need help, it's not working.

jakekatz is offline Intermediate Member

Default Hosting two email domains in zimbra -- need help, it's not working.

Release 5.0.13_GA_2791.UBUNTU8 UBUNTU8 FOSS edition

I have two email domains I want to receive email for.

@aaa.com works (Inbound SMTP Host: mx1.mailhop.org)
    @bbb.com does not (Inbound SMTP Host: smtp.easydns.org)

Using LINUX:
    # nslookup
    > set type=mx
    > aaa.com
    Non-authoritative answer:
    aaa.com mail exchanger = 20 mx2.mailhop.org.
    aaa.com mail exchanger = 10 mx1.mailhop.org.

> bbb.com
    bbb.com mail exchanger = 4 smtp.easydns.com.

Mail for aaa.com is sent to my zimbra server from mx1.mailhot.org
    Mail for bbb.com is sent to my zimbra server from smtp.easydns.com

Under the admin GUI, I added @bbb.com Inbound SMTP host name: smtp.easydns.com

When I click on the "Check MX Record" button, it fails, the details say this:

Domain is configured to use SMTP host: smtp.easydns.com. None of the MX records match this name. Found the following MX records:
    4 smtp.easydns.com.

smtp.easydns.com is what I have in the field, I don't get it. When I click the button for @aaa.com the mx record is correct (mx1.mailhop.org)

I can send email from both accounts, however, I can only receive email for @aaa.com (the one with the working mx) @bbb.com, I can't receive email for.

Anyone run into this?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jakekatz View Post
    Release 5.0.13_GA_2791.UBUNTU8 UBUNTU8 FOSS edition

I have two email domains I want to receive email for.

@aaa.com works (Inbound SMTP Host: mx1.mailhop.org)
    @bbb.com does not (Inbound SMTP Host: smtp.easydns.org)

Using LINUX:
    # nslookup
    > set type=mx
    > aaa.com
    aaa.com mail exchanger = 20 mx2.mailhop.org.
    aaa.com mail exchanger = 10 mx1.mailhop.org.

> bbb.com
    bbb.com mail exchanger = 4 smtp.easydns.com.

Mail for aaa.com is sent to my zimbra server from mx1.mailhot.org
    Mail for bbb.com is sent to my zimbra server from smtp.easydns.com

Under the admin GUI, I added @bbb.com Inbound SMTP host name: smtp.easydns.com
    Where did you add this? If you added the IP for this to your MyNewtork setting then you should remove it immediately.

When I click on the "Check MX Record" button, it fails, the details say this:

Domain is configured to use SMTP host: smtp.easydns.com. None of the MX records match this name. Found the following MX records:
    4 smtp.easydns.com.

smtp.easydns.com is what I have in the field, I don't get it. When I click the button for @aaa.com the mx record is correct (mx1.mailhop.org)

I can send email from both accounts, however, I can only receive email for @aaa.com (the one with the working mx) @bbb.com, I can't receive email for.

Anyone run into this?
    Did you create both domains on your Zimbra server? If you're behind a NAT device do you have correct DNS A MX records for your primary domain? If not, you'll need a Split DNS set-up.

There's no problem receiving mail for multiple domains on a Zimbra server if you point your external DNS records for each domain to your public IP and forward port 25 through any NAT router.
    Last edited by uxbod; 03-03-2009 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Quote tags were wrong
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks for the reply, I'm not sure I posed my problem correctly, as I'm not sure about your answer.

Here's some background first:

Zimbra: Release 5.0.13_GA_2791.UBUNTU8 UBUNTU8 FOSS edition
    Server: Ubuntu 8.04
    Linux Hostname: aaa.com (192.168.1.10)
    Router: (Dynamic Public IP):24 -> 192.168.1.10:25
    Domain (in Zimbra): @aaa.com

Because my ISP blocks port 25, I'm successfully using DynDNS (mx1.mailhop.org) to send email bound for my users@aaa.com to port 24 of my router, which then redirects it to my internal LAN 192.168.1.10:25 (my zimbra server). This works well, and has for the last month.

The Problem starts:

I just aquired and registered a new domain "bbb.com" through EasyDNS.

They are doing the same thing as DynDNS, but this is the part I'm trying to get working. I've setup EasyDNS to send email bound for my users@bbb.com to (my public IP):24 on my router, then redirect to 192.168.1.10:25, my Ubuntu server. Pretty much the same thing DynDNS is doing right now for me.

So, now I have DynDNS .AND. EasyDNS relaying email to my (Dynamic/Public IP):24

Once on the private side, the SMTP data is moved back to the standard port 25 and sent to the Ubuntu server running ZCS.

Can zimbra (or postfix I gather) accept email from both relay's?

Under the Zimbra Admin Console, under "Domains" I added another domain called bbb.com

Then for bbb.com domain, I inserted the EasyDNS relay that will talk to my server:
    Inbound SMTP Host: smtp.easydns.com

I'm reluctant to go further with trouble shooting because the "Check MX Record" button on my new domain tells me that my MX records are wrong. But the mx for EasyDNS and what I have entered are exactly the same.

I'm guessing this is NOT how to add another domain Zimbra?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Where did you add this? If you added the IP for this to your MyNewtork setting then you should remove it immediately.
    I don't know what "MyNetwork" is referring to, is that something in Ubuntu or in Zimbra?

In Zimbra, I've not entered any IP addresses. I have entered two MX host names, one for each domain as I stated earlier. Still only my original domain can receive email.

Did you create both domains on your Zimbra server? If you're behind a NAT device do you have correct DNS A MX records for your primary domain? If not, you'll need a Split DNS set-up.
    I did create a 2nd domain (bbb.com) using the Zimbra Admin Console as stated earlier.

I'm behind my LinkSYS router that does port redirecting (:24 -> :25) to my Ubuntu server, as stated above. That's why I use DynDNS & now EasyDNS also.

From the Ubuntu command line, using the nslookup MX type, I can correctly resolve both mx1.mailhop.org (for aaa.com) and smtp.easydns.com (for bbb.com), so all naming services are correct on the UNIX side of the house.

There's no problem receiving mail for multiple domains on a Zimbra server if you point your external DNS records for each domain to your public IP and forward port 25 through any NAT router.
    I believe this is how I've configured everything. EasyDNS and DynDNS are services that do just that. When my PUBLIC IP changes, both services change the DNS records for BOTH of my public host names.

I'm still not sure what's preventing the mail delivery for bbb.com, is it Zimbra, is it postfix?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Then for bbb.com domain, I inserted the EasyDNS relay that will talk to my server:
    Inbound SMTP Host: smtp.easydns.com
    The mail from Easydns is not being relayed to you if it's using you domain name (and hence the MX record) to send mail to you. Where in Zimbra have you entered that mail server name "smtp.easydns.com", you don't need to specify anything as mail will get delivered to your server. I'm assuming you have added the second domain name to your Zimbra server and also added the account (or aliases) as well?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

The mail from Easydns is not being relayed to you if it's using you domain name (and hence the MX record) to send mail to you.
    I'm not sure then how EasyDNS is sending mail to me, on the setup page in my account, I have configured them to send me email to mail.bbb.com:24, just as I have done with DynDNS. One works, the other does not.

Where in Zimbra have you entered that mail server name "smtp.easydns.com", you don't need to specify anything as mail will get delivered to your server. I'm assuming you have added the second domain name to your Zimbra server and also added the account (or aliases) as well?
    In Zimbra Admin Console, Under domains, I added bbb.com, then on that properties page, I added the smtp.easydns.com, I created a user john@bbb.com who is associated with the bbb.com domain.

I'm not too familiar with postfix (nor sendmail) but in sendmail, I had to add mailhop.org to one of the config files (can't remember which one right now) to allow them to deliver email. Is that what's perhaps needed for postfix?

Thread Information