Thread: Importing user accounts from existing zimbra zcs to a newly installed zimbra server

tashi is offline Senior Member

Default Importing user accounts from existing zimbra zcs to a newly installed zimbra server

can anybody on the forum help me how to import the existing zimbra user accounts only to the freshly installed zimbra server.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix
    well thanks bill for the link..but the info for zcs-zcs account migration is based on creating the same user acc on the new server...but my question is how we can import the entire user acc from the old zimbra server to the new zimbra server without the need to create the same user acc on the new server...can that be possible..?If so it would help me from creating the same tiring user acc twice from scratch.

ewilen is offline Moderator

Instead of importing user accounts, couldn't you just move the entire server over?

If so this might help, it works for me: Moving ZCS to Another Server » Zimbra :: Blog

This might also be worth a look: http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?tit..._to_New_Server

If the new machine is going to have a different hostname in DNS, then you will have to trick the zimbra installer by setting up another DNS server (probably on the same machine) that points the old hostname to the new IP address, and then have your new machine use that as its DNS server.

After that, there must be a way of changing the hostname to what you really want (without making Zimbra freak out) but I haven't personally had a need to do so.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    but my question is how we can import the entire user acc from the old zimbra server to the new zimbra server without the need to create the same user acc on the new server.
    Well, that wasn't clear from your first question.

Try one of the options from the post above, there are threads covering migration in the forums and also several articles in the wiki.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by ewilen View Post
    Instead of importing user accounts, couldn't you just move the entire server over?

If so this might help, it works for me: Moving ZCS to Another Server » Zimbra :: Blog

This might also be worth a look: Moving ZCS to New Server - Zimbra :: Wiki

If the new machine is going to have a different hostname in DNS, then you will have to trick the zimbra installer by setting up another DNS server (probably on the same machine) that points the old hostname to the new IP address, and then have your new machine use that as its DNS server.

After that, there must be a way of changing the hostname to what you really want (without making Zimbra freak out) but I haven't personally had a need to do so.
    well ewilen thanks for the info and the links

Thread Information