Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: [SOLVED] proper hostname configuration questions

  1. #1
    edwaa is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    6

    Question [SOLVED] proper hostname configuration questions

    Here is the scenario:
    • I have a domain name (myDomain.com) registered
    • myDomain.com's DNS is hosted out on the internet somewhere on a server which provides DNS, SMTP, POP/IMAP and HTTP services
    • I've created a subdomain, home.myDomain.com, which points to a dynamic IP address. DNS records are updated with IP address changes
    • I'd like to install Zimbra on a server at the dynamic IP address and have it aggregate e-mails from myDomain.com. (I'd install Zimbra on the internet server that serves DNS, etc. but I'd run out of storage space quickly)


    Here are my main questions:
    • Can Zimbra send e-mail from myDomain.com even though it will be configured at host: home.myDomain.com? If yes, how can I accomplish this?
    • Should the Zimbra domain be myDomain.com or home.myDomain.com?


    Where I'm at:
    • I have Zimbra installed and it runs
    • I can send/receive e-mails within the home.myDomain.com
    • I cannot send e-mails to anywhere on the internet (I've configured the relay MTA but the logs show the relay refusing my connection. I know it is not authentication related. I'd like to check what postfix is actually saying to the relay MTA but I don't know where to look for that information!)
    • I was able to set up an "external account" which successfully grabbed e-mail from the server off the internet. However, I can't configure the "from" address to read: account@myDomain.com (it will only let me select account@home.myDomain.com)


    I want to continue to have mail delivered to the server on the internet because I cannot count on my home.myDomain.com internet connection always being there. Also, I don't care to ever receive e-mail at account@home.myDomain.com. I only care to receive e-mail at account@myDomain.com
    Last edited by edwaa; 01-31-2009 at 06:24 PM. Reason: clarity

  2. #2
    Mccreations is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    49
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edwaa View Post
    Here is the scenario:
    • I have a domain name (myDomain.com) registered
    • myDomain.com's DNS is hosted out on the internet somewhere on a server which provides DNS, SMTP, POP/IMAP and HTTP services
    • I've created a subdomain, home.myDomain.com, which points to a dynamic IP address. DNS records are updated with IP address changes
    • I'd like to install Zimbra on a server at the dynamic IP address and have it aggregate e-mails from myDomain.com. (I'd install Zimbra on the internet server that serves DNS, etc. but I'd run out of storage space quickly)


    Here are my main questions:
    • Can Zimbra send e-mail from myDomain.com even though it will be configured at host: home.myDomain.com? If yes, how can I accomplish this?
    • Should the Zimbra domain be myDomain.com or home.myDomain.com?


    Where I'm at:
    • I have Zimbra installed and it runs
    • I can send/receive e-mails within the home.myDomain.com
    • I cannot send e-mails to anywhere on the internet (I've configured the relay MTA but the logs show the relay refusing my connection. I know it is not authentication related. I'd like to check what postfix is actually saying to the relay MTA but I don't know where to look for that information!)
    • I was able to set up an "external account" which successfully grabbed e-mail from the server off the internet. However, I can't configure the "from" address to read: account@myDomain.com (it will only let me select account@home.myDomain.com)


    I want to continue to have mail delivered to the server on the internet because I cannot count on my home.myDomain.com internet connection always being there. Also, I don't care to ever receive e-mail at account@home.myDomain.com. I only care to receive e-mail at account@myDomain.com
    Hey,

    I'm not a zimbra expert but have been using it for some time. I can answer most of your questions from personal experience.


    Zimbra can host the email for mydomain.com even though the actual server name is host.mydomain.com. The way you would accomplish that is setting your MX records for mydomain.com to point to host.mydomain.com and having zimbra host the mydomain.com domain. I'd guess you could safely delete the host.mydomain.com domain from the admin interface.

    The one thing I do not know how to do would have mail still be delivered to your other server? The whole both server situation doesn't sound so great. One thing I can tell you as another person stuck with a dynamic IP is that if you update your DNS often through cron (I do 15 minutes) all of the email is still delivered to the server even with downtime between, it all comes back once the server is back online.

  3. #3
    uxbod's Avatar
    uxbod is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    8,017
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Welcome to the forums edwaa

    If you are only going to have a couple of local accounts then you could setup Zimbra, from the web client, to collect your email from a remote server IMAP/POP. Though if you are going to have lots of accounts then you could use fetchmail to grab the remote mail and pass into Zimbra for local delivery. Either option will work just fine.

  4. #4
    edwaa is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    Welcome to the forums edwaa

    If you are only going to have a couple of local accounts then you could setup Zimbra, from the web client, to collect your email from a remote server IMAP/POP. Though if you are going to have lots of accounts then you could use fetchmail to grab the remote mail and pass into Zimbra for local delivery. Either option will work just fine.
    Could you elaborate as to why I should use fetchmail only if I have "lots of accounts"?

  5. #5
    edwaa is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    6

    Question

    Can anyone give me some tips on how to troubleshoot my MTA relay troubles? I'm getting all connections to my ISP's SMTP server rejected and I don't know why. I've searched and searched and reset all the different postfix variables I think might affect the issue but to no avail. Thank you!

  6. #6
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,582
    Rep Power
    57

    Default

    You need to look in the log files for any error messages from the ISPs mail server.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  7. #7
    uxbod's Avatar
    uxbod is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    8,017
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    From the command line try telneting to your ISPs SMTP server on port 25 and push a message through manually. Are you sure they are not blocking port 25 ??

  8. #8
    edwaa is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    From the command line try telneting to your ISPs SMTP server on port 25 and push a message through manually. Are you sure they are not blocking port 25 ??
    Here is a copy of my telnet session:
    Code:
    [root@home /var/log]# telnet smtp.myISP.com 25
    Trying xx.xx.xx.xxx...
    Connected to smtp.myISP.com (xx.xx.xx.xxx).
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220 smtp.myISP.com ISPname ESMTP server ready
    HELO home.myDomain.com
    250 smtp.myISP.com hello [yy.yy.yy.yyyy], pleased to meet you
    MAIL FROM: account@home.myDomain.com
    250 2.1.0  sender ok
    RCPT TO: account@myDomain.com
    250 2.1.5  recipient ok
    DATA
    354 enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
    Subject:Test
    This is a test
    .
    250 2.0.0 B5r11b0054hueEX8R5rFk8 mail accepted for delivery
    quit
    221 2.0.0 smtp.myISP.com ISPname closing connection
    Connection closed by foreign host.
    Here is a copy of the postfix variables via zmlocalconfig:
    Code:
    postfix_alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
    postfix_broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
    postfix_command_directory = ${zimbra_home}/postfix/sbin
    postfix_daemon_directory = ${zimbra_home}/postfix/libexec
    postfix_enable_smtpd_policyd = no
    postfix_header_checks = pcre:${zimbra_home}/conf/postfix_header_checks
    postfix_in_flow_delay = 1s
    postfix_lmtp_connection_cache_destinations =
    postfix_lmtp_connection_cache_time_limit = 4s
    postfix_lmtp_host_lookup = dns
    postfix_mail_owner = postfix
    postfix_mailq_path = ${zimbra_home}/postfix/sbin/mailq
    postfix_manpage_directory = ${zimbra_home}/postfix/man
    postfix_maximal_backoff_time = 4000s
    postfix_minimal_backoff_time = 300s
    postfix_newaliases_path = ${zimbra_home}/postfix/sbin/newaliases
    postfix_policy_time_limit = 3600
    postfix_queue_directory = ${zimbra_home}/data/postfix/spool
    postfix_queue_run_delay = 300s
    postfix_sender_canonical_maps = proxy:ldap:${zimbra_home}/conf/ldap-scm.cf
    postfix_sendmail_path = ${zimbra_home}/postfix/sbin/sendmail
    postfix_setgid_group = postdrop
    postfix_smtp_helo_name = home.myDomain.com
    postfix_smtpd_banner = $smtp_helo_name ESMTP $mail_name
    postfix_smtpd_client_restrictions = reject_unauth_pipelining
    postfix_smtpd_data_restrictions = reject_unauth_pipelining
    postfix_smtpd_helo_required = yes
    postfix_smtpd_tls_cert_file = ${zimbra_home}/conf/smtpd.crt
    postfix_smtpd_tls_key_file = ${zimbra_home}/conf/smtpd.key
    postfix_smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1
    postfix_transport_maps = proxy:ldap:${zimbra_home}/conf/ldap-transport.cf
    postfix_version = 2.4.7.5z
    postfix_virtual_alias_domains = proxy:ldap:${zimbra_home}/conf/ldap-vad.cf
    postfix_virtual_alias_maps = proxy:ldap:${zimbra_home}/conf/ldap-vam.cf
    postfix_virtual_mailbox_domains = proxy:ldap:${zimbra_home}/conf/ldap-vmd.cf
    postfix_virtual_mailbox_maps = proxy:ldap:${zimbra_home}/conf/ldap-vmm.cf
    postfix_virtual_transport = error
    Here is a snippet of my zimbra.log file where the connection is refused:
    Code:
    Jan 31 15:45:35 home amavis[9488]: (09488-02) ESMTP::10024 /opt/zimbra/data/amavisd/tmp/amavis-20090131T153923-09488:  ->  SIZE=610 Received: from zimbra.edwaa.com ([127.0.0.1]) by localhost (zimbra.edwaa.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP for ; Sat, 31 Jan 2009 15:45:35 -0800 (PST)
    Jan 31 15:45:35 home amavis[9488]: (09488-02) Checking: iu2pFgRU3xrW [192.168.0.10]  -> 
    Jan 31 15:45:36 home postfix/smtpd[13871]: connect from localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]
    Jan 31 15:45:36 home postfix/smtpd[13871]: 830B33202B7: client=localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]
    Jan 31 15:45:36 home postfix/cleanup[13867]: 830B33202B7: message-id=<24230975.01233445535395.JavaMail.root@home.myDomain.com>
    Jan 31 15:45:36 home postfix/qmgr[10257]: 830B33202B7: from=, size=1048, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
    Jan 31 15:45:36 home postfix/smtpd[13871]: disconnect from localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]
    Jan 31 15:45:36 home amavis[9488]: (09488-02) FWD via SMTP:  -> ,BODY=7BIT 250 2.6.0 Ok, id=09488-02, from MTA([127.0.0.1]:10025): 250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 830B33202B7
    Jan 31 15:45:36 home amavis[9488]: (09488-02) Passed CLEAN, LOCAL [192.168.0.10] [192.168.0.10]  -> , Message-ID: <24230975.01233445535395.JavaMail.root@home.myDomain.com>, mail_id: iu2pFgRU3xrW, Hits: -4.399, size: 610, queued_as: 830B33202B7, 659 ms
    Jan 31 15:45:36 home postfix/smtp[13868]: D5ECC3202B6: to=, relay=127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:10024, delay=0.72, delays=0.04/0.02/0.03/0.64, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 830B33202B7)
    Jan 31 15:45:36 home postfix/qmgr[10257]: D5ECC3202B6: removed
    Jan 31 15:45:36 home postfix/smtp[13872]: connect to smtp.myISP.com[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: Connection refused (port 25)
    Jan 31 15:45:36 home postfix/smtp[13872]: 830B33202B7: to=, relay=none, delay=0.3, delays=0.02/0.05/0.23/0, dsn=4.4.1, status=deferred (connect to smtp.myISP.com[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: Connection refused)
    Jan 31 15:46:07 home zmmailboxdmgr[14426]: status requested
    Jan 31 15:46:07 home zmmailboxdmgr[14426]: status OK
    Any ideas? How can I get Zimbra (postfix) to log the actual SMTP transaction?
    Last edited by edwaa; 02-02-2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: more information

  9. #9
    edwaa is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Wow. I finally figured it out. There way a typo in the field for relay MTA (I left out one character). Funny enough, someone actually registered that typo'd TLD so it actually resolved to an IP address! I finally caught it when I noticed a totally different address range in the log file vs. my manual telnet session.

    Thanks to everyone who helped out!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Zimbra Server very slow - Too many SMTP connections
    By pc-nico in forum Administrators
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-05-2008, 05:12 AM
  2. [SOLVED] Build Zimbra..a little problem...
    By Abdelmonam Kouka in forum Developers
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-22-2008, 05:10 AM
  3. Proper Firewall configuration
    By pavera in forum Installation
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-30-2007, 04:22 AM
  4. Installation Cancelled - Zimbra-spell !
    By Ledg in forum Installation
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-19-2006, 02:54 AM
  5. Configuration Questions
    By ehults in forum Administrators
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-16-2005, 09:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •