Thread: Questions about installation ......

pacergh is offline Starter Member

Default Questions about installation ......

Dear Zimbra Community,

I am a law student that will be working at a small law firm this summer (3 attorneys, 4 staff including me) and I shall also be doubling as the IT guy.

I worked their prior to law school and one of the projects I was working on was an MS Exchange replacement. The firm is very small, is just beginning, and therefore has very little financial flexibility.

I want to try Zimbra. Short of buying a new linux box this summer and working on it then, I thought I might try to run it on my Dell laptop I have dual booting Linux and Windows. (I have to have a Windows laptop to take exams.)

The problem -- I do not have a static IP.

Q: Can I test Zimbra well without the dynamic IP?

I am not necessarily a network neophyte, but I am not exactly the most knowledgeable. For instance: I am still trying to get my cheap Netgear router to work as the DHCP server with a local DNS server set up on one of my linux boxes so I can have, not static local IPs, but static local names.

So, is this something I should begin working on? I think if I can configure something to run in a test demonstration for the head lawyer at this firm, I can convince him to get a Linux server to run it and a static IP for the server.

Sincerely,
    John
    P.S. I am really excited about Zimbra and want to try and get this system.

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Try VMWare or a LiveCD easier to demo. You can work with a dynamic IP you'd just need to setup local DNS.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

pacergh is offline Starter Member

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    Try VMWare or a LiveCD easier to demo. You can work with a dynamic IP you'd just need to setup local DNS.

What if I just made a localhost version of it on that laptop? That would be feasible, having the client/server run on the same machine, yes? I know, not optimal for a real server, but to test it and to get a better understanding of the software?

I am installing CentOS over my FoxDesktop version of Linux on that Dell now.

Sincerely,
    John

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Yes. That can be made to work. In fact I've got Fedora Core 4 running this way on my laptop.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Thread Information