Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mail not delivered at all

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

If there's no specific need to have that in there then you should remove it for now, I assume that you'll be changing the FQDN of the server to the new domain at a later time? Is this meant to be a real test system i.e. when you finished testing will you wipe out the Zimbra installation or what do you intend to do?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

pjmelvin is offline Member

hi Bill,

We have two domains here, assured and mel. Assured is mission critical and melvicas is not, therefore i have changed the upstream dns for mel to point to our external ip, x.x.etc.

I decided to do this so i could install Zimbra with two domains, assured as the main one, test that everything is ok with mel and once i was happy everything was ok just redirect the assured external dns to x.x.etc.

i did install it and could send emails but not receive them due to this dns issue, so once this is fixed for mel and assured, and i have installed/tested zimbra, (i realise that i will not receive email with assured but i should still be able to test outbound mail with the admin account) i will change the dns.

thanks

paul
    Last edited by pjmelvin; 11-21-2008 at 03:20 AM.

You can receive email for multiple domains on your Zimbra server, you need external DNS A & MX records for each domain pointing at your external IP (obviously port 25 is forwarded through the firewall to your local IP for the Zimbra server). Internally you would only need one set of DNS records and they would be the one the server is configured for (the FQDN of the server and whatever domain you choose). All you would need to do is add a second domain to your Zimbra set-up and provision users and that would receive external mail that is sent to that domain. There is no requirement that your internal DNS records (domain names) match the external ones although most people I would guess use one of their domains as the primary one - it's only necessary that the server can resolve it's IP via a DNS lookup so mail will get delivered.
    Regards

Bill

hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply, so if i understand you correctly i only actually should configure the assured dns on the server and then for the melvicas domain i should just add that to zimbra.

If that is the case i will try that first thing, i will remove all the melvicas stuff and do the dns changes for just the assured and see what happens.

In fact i have done that now, but it still doesn't resolve correctly it just shows assured-networks as 84.22.184.70

I must be missing something fundamental here but it is not obvious to me

thanks

paul
    Last edited by pjmelvin; 11-19-2008 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pjmelvin View Post
    hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply, so if i understand you correctly i only actually should configure the assured dns on the server and then for the melvicas domain i should just add that to zimbra.

If that is the case i will try that first thing, i will remove all the melvicas stuff and do the dns changes for just the assured and see what happens.
    Yes, that should be what you do.

In fact i have done that now, but it still doesn't resolve correctly it just shows assured-networks as 84.22.184.70

I must be missing something fundamental here but it is not obvious to me
    I was going to add to this reply (but you may have beaten me to it), if you want to resolve the domain internally (i.e. your LAN users want to use that address) then you would need local DNS records for them to get to the server and if there are no LAN users then you don't need DNS records for that domain. Which is it? Whichever it is you don't need both domains in the hosts file, only the one that you're using as a test.

I'm only telling you not to add internal DNS records for your assured domain at the moment so it will be easy to get Zimbra up and running. If this is a test server you won't be receiving mail for the assured domain yet, will you?
    Regards

Bill

hi Bill,

No that is true, so i should setup my server for melvicas which is redirected correctly and then add assured via the admin webpage when i move the records over?

And at this time there are no lan users this is just a simple email server to hold some accounts for, eventually, both domains.

thanks

paul

No that is true, so i should setup my server for melvicas which is redirected correctly and then add assured via the admin webpage when i move the records over?l
    Yes, that would be my recommendation: use the testing domain to your hearts content, when you're satisfied it does what you want then you can rename the doam to your live system and set-up and internal DNS records for that( (should you need them) and that should suffice.

Be aware that during the initial install you would have been asked if you wanted to change the domain name (you only get asked at this one point), if you did not do that it would have the FQDN of your server as the domain name rather than 'doman.com' which is what you want. If that's what has happened I'd suggest you remove Zimbra from the server with './install.sh -u' that will remove everything and you can reinstall and set the domain name correctly.

Before you do the reinstall and after you've set the hosts file and DNS records you can check them with the following (on the zimbra server):

Code:
    cat /etc/hosts
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    host `hostname`  <-- use backticks not single wuotes
    dig yourdomain.com mx
    dig yourdomain.com any
    That will give you everything you need to confirm if it's OK. If you don't understand anything or have more questions please post the output of those commands here - don't forget the c'code' formatting.
    Regards

Bill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information