Thread: Zimbra on SME Server 7?

haymann is offline Starter Member

Default Zimbra on SME Server 7?

Hello,

I have an SME Server that I am using for my organization. It is working very well for us, but the webmail capabilities of Zimbra blow Horde (default in SME) out of the water. SME 7 is built on CentOS 4.2, and it looks to me like others on this forum have recommended CentOS as a workable OS for Zimbra. My question is, has anyone been able to install Zimbra on an SME box? I did see a post here, but he was trying to install it on a seperate box.

Or if someone has a spare machine laying around and wanted to try SME and Zimbra and let me know how you fared, I would be very greatful.
    Thank you,
    Ryan

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Hi

Welcome to the forums.

Are you actually using SME as the firewall/Gateway in your organisation? If you are I'd suggest using a different box for Zimbra. The assumption of Zimbra is that it's a dedicated mailserver, you can run it with other services (I do) but only if Zimbra usage is fairly low.

If you wanted to use the SME box for Zimbra you shouldn't have problems but you'd need to disable the services that cause a conflict such as Apache and any LDAP server but I think that would negate the purpose of having SME in the first place. I think that the best course of action would be to get a dedicated box for Zimbra.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

haymann is offline Starter Member

Thanks Bill,

Yes, we are using SME as our firewall/gateway (as well as our web server, file server, proxy, etc...). The more that I have read in the documentation makes me agree that this is definately designed to go on a dedicated box. It would have been really nice to get Zimbra running on the same machine, as the all-in-one solutions are attractive to small organizations that don't have much extra $$ laying around to put together another server. I didn't figure that it would work too well, but I thought I would ask.

I did try to install Zimbra to a virtual SME box last night, but it didn't go too well

Thanks again,
    Ryan

Thread Information