Thread: [SOLVED] Delivery some, Relay some

alahser is offline Junior Member

Default [SOLVED] Deliver some, Relay some

I know I should be able to figure this out from the documentation / wiki, but, for whatever reason, I can't seem to figure it out. Maybe, I need to use the command line interface -- I'm not sure.

Here is what I want to do. I have two kinds of email addresses: staff email address in the form of NAME@DOMAIN.COM and job number email address is the form of 99-999@DOMAIN.COM. The staff email should be delivered to Zimbra, the job number email should be delivered to another email server.

Right now, external mail is delivered to Zimbra through a spam proxy. I'm unsure of how to configure. Mail is delivered correctly to staff. I can't seem to figure out how to forward (relay) the rest of the mail to the other server.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
    Andrew
    Last edited by alahser; 10-15-2008 at 02:04 PM.

Baylink is offline Elite Member

The problem you're going to have is that the job-number email is an unbounded universe. You can set a catchall address if Z is your primary server (see Split Domain on the wiki), but that's going to make your spam killing more difficult and leaky, because the Best Practice is that the MX server for your domain should be able to reject spam authoritatively.

To maintain that and still have Z primary, you're going to have to come up with a way for postfix on the MTA server to validate job-numbers, so it knows what to drop on the floor.
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA
    Try to Ask Questions The Smart Way -- you'll get better answers.

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    If you [SOLVE] something, please tell everyone how for the archives
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

The job numbers are known. Right now they are managed on the other email server. I thought of creating a zimbra account (JOBS@DOMAIN.COM) with an alias for each job number, then setting up the email to forward to the other email server, somehow.

But, this seemed like an unusual setup. And, I'm not sure the the other email server is going to like the forwarded emails.

The Split-Domain, as descried in the wiki, worked perfectly. Here is the link:

Split Domain - Zimbra :: Wiki

I setup the job-email in the other email server, then, on Zimbra, I do this from the command line:

zmprov ca 99-999@domain.com
    zmprov ma 99-999@domain.com zimbraMailTransport smtp:email-other-server.com:25

And the mail gets delivered. Thanks for the help.

Thread Information