Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: single to multi-server environment

Klug is online now Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by premoddev View Post
    First of all, after migrating accounts is it necessary to point new server URL for accessing mails or can we use proxy service in the main server (currently not installed) without modifying client configuration.
    In order to do this, you need to setup zimbra-proxy on each ZCS (each location) and have your local DNS resolve the proxy FQDN to a different IP based on location.

Secondly, will it affect the existing calendar synchronization after moving mailboxes from one server to another.
    What do you call "calendar sync" ?

Finally how can I move mailboxes manually?
    Hot move of mailboxes is a NE feature.
    http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?tit...k_Edition_only

Jesster is offline Trained Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by Klug View Post
    In order to do this, you need to setup zimbra-proxy on each ZCS (each location) and have your local DNS resolve the proxy FQDN to a different IP based on location.

What do you call "calendar sync" ?
    My guess: As long as the Calendar REST URL points to the Proxy (vs. mailstore) the calendar subscriptions will continue to work.

premoddev is offline Loyal Member

Hi,

I have tried zmmailbox move from a NE to Open source edition but I got the following error message.

Error occurred: system failure: Failed to send mailbox from source server email.pozy.com: system failure Extension HTTP handler not found at backupmboximport

Is it possible to move the mailbox from Network edition to Opensource edition?
    Last edited by premoddev; 12-02-2008 at 07:20 AM.

mmorse is offline Moderator

You can't use zmmailboxmove accross LDAP instances. (There's an RFE open on doing so though.) Ie can't use it go go from an NE > FOSS box.

Which I'm really not sure why you're doing anyways, as it sounded like you wanted linked management of the boxes, and it's what Klug outlined for you:
    Quote Originally Posted by Klug View Post
    . you point it to the main existing LDAP during installation
    . you setup the local LDAP to be a replicate of the main existing one
    Else you need to tell the opposite Zimbra MTA's to accept mail for for all accounts using what we call a Split Domain - Zimbra :: Wiki.
    If you have the intention of a non-shared LDAP setup & need it: ZCS-to-ZCS Migrations » Zimbra :: Blog

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply, I think its better to specify my exact requirement and then you can suggest a better solution.

Current Sytem setup:

We have a single server installation carrying more than 300 accounts and situated in the main office (US) with External AD authentication.

Requirement:

Setup one more server in branch office (India) and move the mailboxes of branch office employees to the new server, that too share the replica AD for authentication.

Add the second server as the second MX of the domain, so once the primary went down the secondary should accept all mails to our domain and queue all mails of primary server accounts.

Both server should able to send mail, but receiving mail normally through primary and only accept mail by secondary when the primary is not live.

I have searched the forum for getting resolution, and first I thought to go for split domain and some of the guys told it is better to go for multiserver installation. I am totally confused now.

We are using ZCS-Network edition 5.10 on Ubuntu.
    Kindly suggest a reasonable solution.

Thanks in advance

#!Premod
    Last edited by premoddev; 12-03-2008 at 10:21 PM.

I think a multi-server is the best choice also. Your India mailstore can act as a secondary MX, and receive emails for all users (and queue them if lmtp is unreachable). Each user is assigned to a mailstore in their Zimbra LDAP profile (attributes zimbraMailHost and zimbraMailTransport), As an MTA, Postfix will use this to route the message for delivery.

Even though your auth is external AD, you should have Zimbra LDAP setup in a reasonably protected environment. I would setup a dedicated LDAP Master server, then have each mailstore (USA,India) get a Zimbra LDAP replica. Each mailstore can then query it's local copy.

In a later Zimbra release, we'll get Master Master Zimbra Ldap!

Pseudo Examples:

example.org has two DNS MX's:

usa.example.org 100 Priority
    india.example.org 200 priority

USA users might use webmail at http://usa.example.org
    India users might use webmail at http://india.example.org

Zimbra has example.org in LDAP with External AD authentication

If the CoS for example.org is 'default' the zimbraMailHostPool attribute should auto-populate with a zimbraId of your mailstores.
    You can also control it so all your USA new accounts are only added to your USA mailstore, likewise for India.

-Jessie
    Last edited by Jesster; 12-03-2008 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Further explanation & example

Hi Jessie,

I actually want my secondary (India) Zimbra server should authenticate with the replica AD (India).

Is it possible to bypass the LDAP lookup for only user authentiication to another server (say AD) in a Multi server installation

Thanks,

#!Premod

Hi Premod,

I don't have any experience on external AD auth. My understanding is it's strictly authentication. With that said, I still think Zimbra's LDAP is needed for many things, including MTA recipient validation & routing.

Hi Premod,

I don't have any experience on external AD auth. My understanding is it's strictly authentication. With that said, I still think Zimbra's LDAP is needed for many things, including MTA recipient validation & routing.

Is it possible to bypass the LDAP lookup for only user authentiication to another server (say AD) in a Multi server installation
    I'm not sure about this. I do know that each Zimbra server has it's own localconfig.xml file that defines where it's Zimbra LDAP servers are (replicas and master)

Hi Jessie,

I have configured Multi server installation and it working fine, next i need to move the mail boxes to the new server.

Is it required to inactivate the account while moving the mailboxes using zmmailboxmove.

Thanks,

#!Premod

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information