Thread: HELP- Making Zimbra work. after installation

hifriend1 is offline New Member

Angry HELP- Making Zimbra work. after installation

Hi,
    I have install Zimbra without any problem.. Everything went well, but its not working.. or probably I don't have clue how to make it work.. Any help will be greatly appreciated... I am really frustrated with whole smtp server thing..
    So here is my configuration.. I got Cent OS 4.0 and install zcs-3.0.1_GA_160.RHEL4.tgz (so I guess version 3.0.1). Besides I already have sendmail running on port 25, I got my own Apache (port 80) and Tomcat running (8080). I have name based virtual hosting in Apache and for jsp application Apache forward request to tomcat using jk2.
    So now having said all these, when I installed zimbra.. How do I know it installed and working fine? I read admin guide document and it asking me to try https://server.domain.com:7071, but it doesn't work..
    Offcourse it won't work in my setup because my server is not running at that port 7072.. So here are few millions question for you pros and creator of Zimbra.. (thanks for your help)
    1. I saw Zimbra have its own Apache and tomcat, does it create problems with existing one. ( while installation, I have chosen different port for http and https)
    2. How do I know Zimbra is installed and working fine
    3. How will it resolve port 7071 admin webpage
    4. How do I use that cool email client shown in the website demo?
    5. I had to get rid of Zimbra from automatic CentOS boot up services, because if I keep it my CentOS won't bootup.. (WHY) I did manual startup with command "/etc/rc.d/init.d/zimbra start"
    5. And many more, but first I wanna understand and resolve this problems so that Zimbra starts working

Thank you so much.. Please help me!!

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Hi

I would suggest that you read some of the documentation and search the forums. All your questions have been covered before. That said, you need to ensure that Zimbra has it's own ports to run on, I would suggest disabling any services you have running such as sendmail, apache and tomcat and install Zimbra.

The 'client' you use on the demo is just your web browser, point it at http://yourserver/.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

well I did go through documentation and forum.. but couldn't find anything anywhere.. If you can point me to something specific that will be helpful.
    Besides, I can't disable my sendmail, apache and tomcat.. These are exisiting services thats been used by lot of other application.. Sendmail is needed for my OS itself. If I disable it I won't get any system messages.. Apache and Tomcat can't be disabled, becuase if I do all my exisiting websites won't work.. My email server shouldn't have to make me get rid of all this.. You know what I mean???

Thanks,
    Satish.

marcmac is offline Expert Member

Quote Originally Posted by hifriend1
    well I did go through documentation and forum.. but couldn't find anything anywhere.. If you can point me to something specific that will be helpful.
    Besides, I can't disable my sendmail, apache and tomcat.. These are exisiting services thats been used by lot of other application.. Sendmail is needed for my OS itself. If I disable it I won't get any system messages.. Apache and Tomcat can't be disabled, becuase if I do all my exisiting websites won't work.. My email server shouldn't have to make me get rid of all this.. You know what I mean???

Thanks,
    Satish.
    If you searched on this, and didn't find anything, I'd be surprised.

You have to disable sendmail to install zimbra - but you'll still have an MTA.

You have to either turn off your apache/tomcat or move it (or zimbra's) to another port.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Quote Originally Posted by hifriend1

Thanks,
    Satish.
    Well, I'd be amazed if you didn't find anything about the questions you've posted.

You need to disable sendmail to use Zimbra because Zimbra is a mailserver and runs on port 25, if you have an external MX pointing at your system then you can only run one service on that port.

The questions about Tomcat and Apache have been answered many times in the forums and, as marcmac has said, you can change the ports of Zimbra at install.

Your question 5 about problems booting with Zimbra set to autostart are probably because of a port conflict with sendmail. You don't actually need sendmail for CentOS, I use CentOS 4.3 with Zimbra installed and there's no problem receiving system messages in Zimbra.

You don't start Zimbra manually in the method you've described you 'su zimbra' then 'zmcontrol start or stop or status' - all of which has been mentioned in the forums and documentation. Have you read the Zimbra quick start guide? Is your hosts file set-up correctly? Does your system have a DNS server (BIND) running, has this been setup correctly?
    Last edited by phoenix; 03-21-2006 at 01:26 PM.
    Regards

Bill

Hi.. Thank you all for responding it so quickly.. I must say I didn't read whole thing word by word.. and when you mentioned about disabling other stuff, I do find it right in the document.. which I missed it completly..
    But now I have to think about usingZimbra altogether if I have to get rid of everything most importantly apache, tomcat and mysql.. These are the core components of my system..
    I wonder if there is a way so that I can make Zimbra to use my exisiting component and not use its own.. Any comments??
    As far as DNS server, I don't have one in my machine but using dns service provider to point to my machine IP address with my domain name..

Thanks again..
    Satish

No, you don't have toget rid of everything on your system (except sendmail). You have to make a decision when you install Zimbra what ports you want to use, go through the options before you commit the install and change the ports zimbra uses then finish the install. You should be OK with that.

If this is for your own use (and a small number of users) rather than an office then you should have no problems using Apache, Tomcat and MySQL with Zimbra. The quick answer to using your own instances of apache etc. with Zimbra is - don't! Keep them seperate.

I currently run Zimbra using the default ports with another MySQL on the default ports and Apache on 8080 and it runs fine.

The best thing you can do is try the installation again and see how you get on, if it causes problems then just uninstall and start again. If you hit any problems have a quick search of the forums and if you're still stuck post again and someone will help. Mine isn't a particularly complex setup but Zimbra is real easy to install especially on CentOS.
    Regards

Bill

yuna49 is offline Starter Member

I was also puzzled about the apparent coexistence of the Zimbra servers with existing software like sendmail and apache. I followed the installation procedure and when I was done, ps showed the zimbra httpd as running along with the default apache httpd that was bound to port 80. An nmap scan of the machine didn't show any unusual ports available, and a connection to port 80 showed that the existing apache server was handling requests on that port.

I would have thought that the installation procedure would notice existing servers attached to ports that Zimbra uses and complain about this during the installation. It neither complained, nor did it stop the existing services. Instead it appeared that the zimbra servers were running alongside the existing ones, but then I should have seen complaints from the OS about a conflict over binding to the standard ports. If there were such complaints from Linux, I didn't see them on my screen during the installation.

While some of the responses here indicate I should have allocated Zimbra to other ports, or deactivated the existing services, nothing in the installation procedure indicated this was necessary. I therefore assumed the installer would handle stopping the relevant services and replacing them with their Zimbra equivalents.

Thread Information