Thread: Does the binary distribution run on SuSE 9.3?

getlost is offline Starter Member

Default Does the binary distribution run on SuSE 9.3?

I've tried to install RHEL4 binary on my SuSE linux , and have no luck to get it to work. I ran into symlink issues and corrected it, and ran into SASL version issue (it demands version 2.1.19 while I have 2.1.18 on my system) and so I went to upgrade it to version 2.1.19. But still getting error: ERROR:

service.FAILURE (system failure: getDirectContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException mydomain.com:389)

The installation log indicates :

ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server (-1)

I also tried FC3 binary and got the same thing.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times now and no luck to get all service started.

Is anyone get the binary working on SuSE linux 9.x? Or should it work? If not, my next attempt would be to compile the source . But some posts say compiling source on SuSE is more trouble some and it seems that zimbra is still working to port the source to SuSE.

Any suggestions/comments are appreciated.

KevinH is offline Expert Member

SuSE is not supported at the moment for either the binary or source build. We are working on making the source more portable and that will happen soon. Until then it's best to work with a supported distro.

marcmac is offline Expert Member

Default SuSE port

We are working on a SuSE port, but you may be able to get the RHEL4 binary working.

The problem you're running into is probably related to the way stock SuSE kernels are built. The option IP_NF_NAT_LOCAL is not enabled, so port redirection (eg 389->7389) for packets originating on the localhost won't work.

You can verify that this is the problem by telnetting to the localhost on port 7389 (where the ldap server is actually bound). If that works, you may also find that telnetting to the host on 389 from a different server also works. (Both of these assume that slapd is running).

So, the solution here is to rebuild your kernel with IP_NF_NAT_LOCAL enabled, and re-install. (The current installation is most likely quite borked, since none of the ldap or sql initialization succeeded).

There's a discussion of this here:
    https://lists.netfilter.org/pipermai...er/057099.html

getlost is offline Starter Member

Quote Originally Posted by marcmac
    We are working on a SuSE port, but you may be able to get the RHEL4 binary working.

The problem you're running into is probably related to the way stock SuSE kernels are built. The option IP_NF_NAT_LOCAL is not enabled, so port redirection (eg 389->7389) for packets originating on the localhost won't work.

You can verify that this is the problem by telnetting to the localhost on port 7389 (where the ldap server is actually bound). If that works, you may also find that telnetting to the host on 389 from a different server also works. (Both of these assume that slapd is running).

So, the solution here is to rebuild your kernel with IP_NF_NAT_LOCAL enabled, and re-install. (The current installation is most likely quite borked, since none of the ldap or sql initialization succeeded).

There's a discussion of this here:
    https://lists.netfilter.org/pipermai...er/057099.html
    OK, is recompiling kernel with IP_NF_NAT_LOCAL enabled my only option?
    Is there an alternative, i.e., not use the mappings?

Also when can we expect it to be ported to SuSE? Any estimated time frame?

Thanks.
    Last edited by getlost; 10-03-2005 at 02:33 PM.

Thread Information