Thread: Diary of a Newbie 2: To Archive, or not to Archive

Baylink is offline Elite Member

Default Diary of a Newbie 2: To Archive, or not to Archive

(The dupe yesterday turns out to be because L(3) had routing 'issues' in Tampa yesterday afternoon when I was emoting...)

So the next question is "zimbra-archiving is optional to install, defaulting to no. Do you want it anyway?"

And the unknowable answer to that question -- unknowable to me, at least -- is "if I install it to try it out during my trial period, and decide it's not worth the extra $24 a seat, how does it degrade when I go to a regular paid license that doesn't include it?"

Anybody? Anybody? Bueller??

A related question, pertinent to my situation is: "If I initially have to license the Outlook connector because I can't immediately wean all my executives off it to the webclient, what happens when I finally do?"

mmorse is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Baylink View Post
    So the next question is "zimbra-archiving is optional to install, defaulting to no. Do you want it anyway?"

And the unknowable answer to that question -- unknowable to me, at least -- is "if I install it to try it out during my trial period, and decide it's not worth the extra $24 a seat, how does it degrade when I go to a regular paid license that doesn't include it?"
    Well license 1.0 doesn't actually check the account type, when you purchase (in your case try) ZAD you get a license with CrossMailboxSearchEnabled TRUE, and the opportunity to acquire accounts at a cheaper rate since an archive account is in essence a regular account that mail is being forked to - it's an increase of your AccountsLimit value. As just the CrossMailboxSearchEnabled is checked in the hash signature the obvious flaw in that: Bug 17840 - Calculate/enforce user mailboxes licensed count for archiving product > Bug 20984 – License 2.0

To remove:
    su - zimbra
    zmzimletctl undeploy zimbra_xmbxsearch
    zmprov mcf -zimbraComponentAvailable archiving
    zmprov ms `zmhostname` -zimbraServiceEnabled archiving
    zmprov ms `zmhostname` -zimbraServiceInstalled archiving
    rpm -e zimbra-archiving
    (Or instead of `zmhostname` you can type server.domain.com or `zmlocalconfig -m nokey zimbra_server_hostname`)

Quote Originally Posted by Baylink View Post
    A related question, pertinent to my situation is: "If I initially have to license the Outlook connector because I can't immediately wean all my executives off it to the webclient, what happens when I finally do?"
    Simply evaluate if you need to purchase an NE Pro license (ZCO & iSync) next year.

Baylink is offline Elite Member

Whoa; slow down.

You speak Zimbra, and I don't. ;-)

So you're saying it degrades gracefully; there isn't anything in the mainline config that will become unhappy just because the archiving components are no longer licensed?

And, again, same question with the Outlook connector: it just falls off the side without affecting the Zimbra core, when I de-license it?

(in the second case, it will be the relicensing of seats from Pro to Standard; the former will probably be going from Trial to Paid.)

Thread Information