Thread: ZCS on SUSE Linux on IBM Z Series

alung is offline New Member

Default ZCS on SUSE Linux on IBM Z Series

Has anybody had the chance to install ZCS on SUSE Linux on IBM Z Series? If so, do you have any advice?

bdial is offline Moderator

no, but i've installed it on suse on several hardware platforms including dell poweredges and hp blade servers. are you having a specific problem or are you just looking for compatability info?

alung is offline New Member

I'm just looking for compatability info. I was thinking it would be a no brainer to get the source code from a poduct that was developed on x86 and compile it. I'm hoping somebody has experience with this platform.

bdial is offline Moderator

No need to compile really zimbra puts out packages for suse linux enterprise server which also work for opensuse 10.x (not 11). Ultimately if linux runs fine on the z series, and all your networking works theres no reason zimbra shouldn't.

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

System Z is a hardware partitioned mainframe that exposes 390x architecture to the OS - not x86 or PPC. It would need code alterations as well as a dedicated build. It would need a more complex build to take advantage of the various levels of virtualization.

Zimbra on this platform would rock. If nobody does it first, I would be interested in doing this port after Solaris and FreeBSD are completed.

urbr is offline Starter Member

Hello! I signed up here just to reply to this thread, as I've found no others referencing Zimbra on s390 architecture.
    I work at a small college that has a big investment in mainframe technology and a great partnership with IBM. I've been tasked with investigating Zimbra as a possible email solution, with one restriction: it must run on Linux on the Mainframe. One of the chief problems that would be encountered is the Java versions available for this architecture. We're pretty much stuck with IBM's Java, which tends to have... eccentricities. Perforce also lacks binaries for the platform.

It would be an exciting (and somewhat surprising) accomplishment to have Zimbra running on this platform. Any interest?
    -urbr

Rebel6381 is offline Intermediate Member

Default Zimbra on the Mainframe...PLEASE!!!

Bumping thread to find out if there is more interest in running Zimbra on z/Linux and if there are plans to create a build for it.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel6381 View Post
    Bumping thread to find out if there is more interest in running Zimbra on z/Linux and if there are plans to create a build for it.
    The answer to the last part of your question would be no, the only supported build are the ones available for download.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Rebel6381 is offline Intermediate Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    The answer to the last part of your question would be no, the only supported build are the ones available for download.
    1. Bumping this for the same reason as before. Is there any INTEREST in getting a build going for System z? VMWare Zimbra could seriously profit off of this architecture.

2. Phoenix, perhaps you should have read my post more carefully or at all. I was asking about INTEREST in creating a build not what is actually available.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel6381 View Post
    2. Phoenix, perhaps you should have read my post more carefully or at all. I was asking about INTEREST in creating a build not what is actually available.
    I read, and understood, your thread perfectly well. If you read my answer then you'd see there's no intention to build a version for this platform (from Zimbra) and it looks like there's no interest from anyone else as you've had no replies and the initial thread is over two years old - it's even taken you almost a year to reply to my last post. If you feel like producing a build for this platform then go right ahead, after all it is Open Source software.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information