Thread: Restarting problem after installation

satimis is offline Junior Member

Default Restarting problem after installation

Hi folks,

Host - Ubuntu 8.04 server amd64 (headless w/o X)
    Guest - Ubuntu 6.06 server amd64 (headless w/o X)
    VM - KVM
    zcs-5.0.8_GA_2462.UBUNTU6_64.20080709205157.tgz

I encountered following problem on installing Zimbra on the Guest. Installation went through without complaint. After installation finished on restarting
    Code:
    Starting servers....
    done.
    Checking for deprecated zimlets...
    done

Installing zimlets
    com_zimbra_cert_manager
    com_zimbra_ymemoticons
    com_zimbra_phone
    com_zimbra_date
    com_zimbra_email
    com_zimbra_url
    com_zimbra_local
    done.

Initializing Documents....[ 4692.7169411] Out of Memory: Killed process 17646 (java).
    [ 4693.382712] Out of Memory: Killed process 17707 (java).
    [ 4694.314722] Kernel panic - not syncing: Out of memory and no killable processes....
    [ 4694.535515]
    Then hanging here

I ran following command creating Ubuntu6.06.img

# kvm -hdb ubuntu6.06.img -cdrom /dev/scd0 -m 512 -vnc :1

No complaint on installation

Please advise how to solve the problem. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Initializing Documents....[ 4692.7169411] Out of Memory: Killed process 17646 (java).
    I'd suggest you might be low on RAM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    I'd suggest you might be low on RAM.
    Hi phoenix,

Thanks for your advice.

I have 4G RAM on board. However on creating ubuntu.img I appled "-m 512". I think the problem may be here.

Anyway I'll recreate another ubuntu.img with "-m 1024" to check what will happen. Thanks

B.R.
    satimis

Hi folks,

Performed second round installing Zimbra but still fail. Allot 1024M to the new Ubuntu6.04.img (guest image on VM for installing zimbra)

Installation went through without major problem. On restarting
    Code:
    Starting servers ... library initialization failed - unable to allocate file descriptor 
    table - out of memory.  Unable to determine enabled services from ldap.  Enabled
    services reade from cache.  Service list may be inaccurate.

Password:[ 6309.166157] Out of Memmory: Killed process 20144 (mysqld).
    [ 6309.653862] Out of Memory: Killed process 22935 (amvisd).
    [ 6347.637539] Out of Memmory: Killed process 22644 (java).
    PC hanging here.

Would it be Zimbra unable installed on Guest OS of a VM?

B.R.
    satimis

Default (solved)

Hi phoenix and folks,

Finally on the 3rd round I have zimbra installed on Ubuntu6.06, the guest OS on KVM

satimis@satimis: sudo /bin/bash
    Password:

root@satimis:~# su - zimbra
    zimbra@satimis:~$ zmcontrol status
    Code:
    Host satimis.com
            antispam                Running
            antivirus               Running
            ldap                    Running
            logger                  Running
            mailbox                 Running
            mta                     Running
            snmp                    Running
            spell                   Running
    	stats			Running
    I can't just run

$ su - zimbra
    password

It can't work. No password can satisfy it.

I must run;

sudo /bin/bash
    su - zimbra

RAM 1.5G must be allotted to Ubuntu6.06.img

There are still some minor problem on domain and networking. I'll start another thread later. TIA

B.R
    satimis

dwmtractor is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    I can't just run

$ su - zimbra
    password

It can't work. No password can satisfy it.

I must run;

sudo /bin/bash
    su - zimbra
    This is normal behavior for Ubuntu. The normal behavior for admins not running Ubuntu is to log on as root, and then do the "su - zimbra" command. You do NOT want to change the Zimbra user to a known password (rather than the random one that's set now) because doing so would require re-configuring too much from within the Zimbra installation.

But the behavior for Ubuntu is that you always log onto an admin-type account without full rights, and then either sudo every command (which gets old REALLY fast), or do the sudo bash or sudo /bin/bash just as you have done to get full root privileges. You wouldn't want just any user to be able to su as another user, so this is just Linux doing its job.

RAM 1.5G must be allotted to Ubuntu6.06.img
    This is also to be expected. Read around the forums and you'll find that standard practice is to give Zimbra a full 2GB minimum, and in practice I found this to be the case even in a full hardware machine (as opposed to a VM). Even with a couple users, the performance with 2GB is WAY better than with less, and you don't have to add more RAM on top of this till you're up to somewhere between 50 and 100 users depending on volume.

Bottom line, Zimbra at <2GB is not a happy program. Accept this fact and you'll be a happy Zimbrian!
    Cheers,

Dan

Hi dwmtractor,

Thanks for your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by dwmtractor View Post
    This is normal behavior for Ubuntu. The normal behavior for admins not running Ubuntu is to log on as root, and then do the "su - zimbra" command. You do NOT want to change the Zimbra user to a known password (rather than the random one that's set now) because doing so would require re-configuring too much from within the Zimbra installation.

But the behavior for Ubuntu is that you always log onto an admin-type account without full rights, and then either sudo every command (which gets old REALLY fast), or do the sudo bash or sudo /bin/bash just as you have done to get full root privileges. You wouldn't want just any user to be able to su as another user, so this is just Linux doing its job.
    I got it. Thanks.

This is also to be expected. Read around the forums and you'll find that standard practice is to give Zimbra a full 2GB minimum, and in practice I found this to be the case even in a full hardware machine (as opposed to a VM). Even with a couple users, the performance with 2GB is WAY better than with less, and you don't have to add more RAM on top of this till you're up to somewhere between 50 and 100 users depending on volume.

Bottom line, Zimbra at <2GB is not a happy program. Accept this fact and you'll be a happy Zimbrian!
    Noted and thanks.

I'll make another round assigning 2G RAM to zimbra. It is quite easy to do it on Virtural Machine. I have 4G RAM on board. I need to reserve some capacity to other guests as I'm prepared running 3 guests on VM simultaneously. This is a test, NOT for production. Maybe I'll need running multiple guests on VM simultaneously on testing Desktop virtualization later.

I have following points unclear;

1)
    On booting Ubuntu6.06, guest OS, it takes quite sometimes hanging on
    Code:
    * Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)
    >5 mins at least. I don't have iptables rules setup yet. /etc/rc.local is an empty file. Before installing zimbra it takes less than 1 min booting ubuntu. zimbra is installed on LVM here.

Where shall I check? Thanks

2)
    Where can I find document on using zimbra which I suppose having postfix/mysql/apache2 etc. running. Would it be treating it the same as a LAMP server installing postfix/mysql/php5/apache2 etc. one by one.

I'm most interested on the webmail server on zimbra.

Please shed me some light. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

dwmtractor is offline Moderator

1)
    On booting Ubuntu6.06, guest OS, it takes quite sometimes hanging on
    Code:
    * Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)
    >5 mins at least. I don't have iptables rules setup yet. /etc/rc.local is an empty file. Before installing zimbra it takes less than 1 min booting ubuntu. zimbra is installed on LVM here.

Where shall I check? Thanks
    I suspect this'll go a lot faster with the upped RAM too. It does take a little while starting the boot scripts on my machine too, though not as much as five minutes. Have a look at the log files in /var/log (particularly zimbra.log and mail.log) for any errors that may appear, but this may just be the normal stuff. Post any errors you find and we'll look at them together.

2)
    Where can I find document on using zimbra which I suppose having postfix/mysql/apache2 etc. running. Would it be treating it the same as a LAMP server installing postfix/mysql/php5/apache2 etc. one by one.

I'm most interested on the webmail server on zimbra.
    I'm a tad unclear on just what you're asking here. Are you wanting to run a completely separate LAMP-type server in addition to your Zimbra installation on the same virtual (or eventually, hardware) machine? This is not recommended, but I have seen docs around the forum from people who have gotten it to work. This wiki is probably the most comprehensive.

But Zimbra installs postfix, apache, and MySQL for its own use in non-standard locations (everything is in /opt/zimbra) so you don't have to have any of these things pre-installed for Zimbra to work. . .in fact the recommended installation is as bare a Linux install as possible so you don't wind up with interfering services. I presume you've read this wiki on Ubuntu 6 installation?
    Cheers,

Dan

Thread Information