Thread: [SOLVED] Same error when recovering, this time on machine with same IP address

dthomson is offline Junior Member

Default [SOLVED] Same error when recovering, this time on machine with same IP address

I had a server failure and am trying to restore from a backup of the /opt/zimbra directory. I have tried *everything* it seems. I was told that I needed to restore to a server with the same IP address as the old (which seems crazy, but I finally have managed to get it up on the old address), and following these directions:

Moving ZCS to Another Server » Zimbra :: Blog

Any help would be appreciated. I haven't had my mail server for a over week while I've been trying to figure this out. Someone *please* help!!!!!!

Here is the output of the install.sh:

Do you wish to upgrade? [Y] y

Select the packages to install
    Upgrading zimbra-core
    Upgrading zimbra-ldap
    Upgrading zimbra-logger
    Upgrading zimbra-mta

Install zimbra-snmp [N]
    Upgrading zimbra-store
    Upgrading zimbra-apache
    Upgrading zimbra-spell

Install zimbra-proxy [N]
    Checking required space for zimbra-core
    checking space for zimbra-store

Installing:
    zimbra-core
    zimbra-ldap
    zimbra-logger
    zimbra-mta
    zimbra-store
    zimbra-apache
    zimbra-spell

You appear to be installing packages on a platform different
    than the platform for which they were built.

This platform is CentOS5_64
    Packages found: RHEL5_64
    This may or may not work.

Using packages for a platform in which they were not designed for
    may result in an installation that is NOT usable. Your support
    options may be limited if you choose to continue.

Install anyway? [N] y

The system will be modified. Continue? [N] y

Shutting down zimbra mail

Backing up the ldap database...done.

Removing existing packages

zimbra-ldap...done
    zimbra-logger...done
    zimbra-mta...done
    zimbra-store...done
    zimbra-spell...done
    zimbra-apache...done
    zimbra-core...done

Removing deployed webapp directories
    Installing packages

zimbra-core......zimbra-core-5.0.6_GA_2313.RHEL5_64-20080522130456.x86_64.rpm...done
    zimbra-ldap......zimbra-ldap-5.0.6_GA_2313.RHEL5_64-20080522130456.x86_64.rpm...done
    zimbra-logger......zimbra-logger-5.0.6_GA_2313.RHEL5_64-20080522130456.x86_64.rpm...done
    zimbra-mta......zimbra-mta-5.0.6_GA_2313.RHEL5_64-20080522130456.x86_64.rpm...done
    zimbra-store......zimbra-store-5.0.6_GA_2313.RHEL5_64-20080522130456.x86_64.rpm...done
    zimbra-apache......zimbra-apache-5.0.6_GA_2313.RHEL5_64-20080522130456.x86_64.rpm...done
    zimbra-spell......zimbra-spell-5.0.6_GA_2313.RHEL5_64-20080522130456.x86_64.rpm...done

Setting defaults from saved config in /opt/zimbra/.saveconfig/config.save
    HOSTNAME=
    LDAPHOST=
    LDAPPORT=
    SNMPTRAPHOST=
    SMTPSOURCE=
    SMTPDEST=
    SNMPNOTIFY=0
    SMTPNOTIFY=0
    LDAPROOTPW=
    LDAPZIMBRAPW=
    LDAPPOSTPW=
    LDAPREPPW=
    LDAPAMAVISPW=
    Restoring existing configuration file from /opt/zimbra/.saveconfig/config.save...done
    Operations logged to /tmp/zmsetup.01001900-000012052672.log
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: ZimbraLdapContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException localhost:389)
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: ZimbraLdapContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException localhost:389)
    Setting defaults...ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: ZimbraLdapContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException localhost:389)
    done.
    Setting defaults from existing config...ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: ZimbraLdapContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException localhost:389)
    done.
    Checking for port conflicts
    Starting ldap...failed with exit code 256.
    Setting defaults from ldap...ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: ZimbraLdapContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException localhost:389)
    done.

Main menu

1) Common Configuration:
    +Hostname: ssmail.suprasphere.com
    +Ldap master host: ssmail.suprasphere.com
    +Ldap port: 389
    +Ldap Admin password: set
    +Require secure interprocess communications: yes
    ******* +TimeZone: UNSET

2) zimbra-ldap: Enabled
    3) zimbra-store: Enabled
    +Create Admin User: no
    +Enable automated spam training: yes
    ******* +Spam training user: UNSET
    ******* +Non-spam(Ham) training user: UNSET
    +Global Documents Account: wiki@ssmail.suprasphere.com
    +SMTP host: ssmail.suprasphere.com
    ******* +Web server HTTP port: UNSET
    ******* +Web server HTTPS port: UNSET
    +Web server mode: mixed
    ******* +IMAP server port: UNSET
    ******* +IMAP server SSL port: UNSET
    ******* +POP server port: UNSET
    ******* +POP server SSL port: UNSET
    +Use spell check server: yes
    +Spell server URL: http://ssmail.suprasphere.com:7780/aspell.php

4) zimbra-mta: Enabled
    5) zimbra-logger: Enabled
    6) zimbra-spell: Enabled
    7) Default Class of Service Configuration:
    ******* +Enable Instant Messaging Feature: UNSET
    ******* +Enable Briefcases Feature: UNSET
    ******* +Enable Tasks Feature: UNSET
    ******* +Enable Notebook Feature: UNSET

r) Start servers after configuration yes
    s) Save config to file
    x) Expand menu
    q) Quit

gmsmith is offline Moderator

You may want to copy over your localconfig.xml from the backup copy. It seems as though that may have gotten wiped. See comments 7 and 8 on that same blog entry you are using.

Thanks. According to the instructions I run the install once using the -s option, which I've done. Then, I delete the /opt/zimbra directory that it installs. Then, I unzip my backup into /opt/zimbra. After I've done that it seems to have the correct localconfig.xml file as I start the second install (without the -s option). If anything, the install script seems to be overwriting it or something.

Also, I have no .saveconfig directory in my backup.

Default Pathetically convoluted, but successful recovery process

Here are the exact final steps that allowed me to recover from my backup. Honestly, this is pretty much a bad joke that it took all of this.

1. Backup /opt/zimbra (I tgz'ed it)

2. Download a fresh tgz of the Zimbra release, preferably the same architecture and version

3. Install on the new machine, which should have the same DNS and MX settings with the command ./install.sh -s

4. rm -rf /opt/zimbra

5. Untar the original backup to /opt/zimbra, and run this:

su - zimbra
    /opt/zimbra/openldap/sbin/slapcat -f /opt/zimbra/conf/slapd.conf -l /tmp/ldap.ldif

6. Copy the /opt/zimbra/conf/slapd.conf and /opt/zimbra/conf/localconfig.xml to a safe place

7. rm -rf /opt/zimbra (which will be the backup...make sure you kept the original backup as a tgz so you can unzip it again)

8. Re-install from the original distribution with the -s option

9. Copy the backup of slapd.conf to /opt/zimbra/conf

10. Run this command:

su - zimbra
    /opt/zimbra/openldap/sbin/slapadd -f /opt/zimbra/conf/slapd.conf -l /tmp/ldap.ldif

11. Move the /opt/zimbra/openldap-data directory to a safe place

12. rm -rf /opt/zimbra

13. Unzip from the backup again

14. Delete the /opt/zimbra/openldap-data directory

15. Copy/move the backup of the openldap-data directory into the /opt/zimbra directory

16. Run /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmfixperms

17. Run the install.sh without the -s option. It will most likely fail.

18. Copy the original localconfig.xml into the /opt/zimbra/conf directory

19. ./install.sh again without the -s option

20. Just to even it out at a full TWENTY STEPS, write a post to the Zimbra forums complaining what a pathetically convoluted process this was.

Thread Information