Thread: Disaster recovery and the Starting ldap...failed with exit code 256. error

dthomson is offline Junior Member

Default Disaster recovery and the Starting ldap...failed with exit code 256. error

I have a backup of a 5.06 /opt/zimbra directory that I tarred and unzipped on a new machine. It's exactly the same as the old machine. I know this issue has been covered extensively, but I simply cannot get over it. I have been searching the forums for the past several days and have tried installing and reinstalling many times.

I have the original tgz release of Zimbra that I installed fresh on the new system. It worked fine. I moved the /opt/zimbra from that install to a zimbra_506, then unzipped my old zimbra install into /opt/zimbra.

I then went through the installation program again. I get this:

Setting defaults from saved config in /opt/zimbra/.saveconfig/config.save
    HOSTNAME=
    LDAPHOST=
    LDAPPORT=
    SNMPTRAPHOST=
    SMTPSOURCE=
    SMTPDEST=
    SNMPNOTIFY=0
    SMTPNOTIFY=0
    LDAPROOTPW=
    LDAPZIMBRAPW=
    LDAPPOSTPW=
    LDAPREPPW=
    LDAPAMAVISPW=
    Restoring existing configuration file from /opt/zimbra/.saveconfig/config.save...done
    Operations logged to /tmp/zmsetup.01001900-000012052672.log
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: ZimbraLdapContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException localhost:389)
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: ZimbraLdapContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException localhost:389)
    Setting defaults...ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: ZimbraLdapContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException localhost:389)
    done.
    Setting defaults from existing config...ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: ZimbraLdapContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException localhost:389)
    done.
    Checking for port conflicts
    Starting ldap...failed with exit code 256.
    Setting defaults from ldap...ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: ZimbraLdapContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException localhost:389)
    done.

I have tried all sorts of combinations of editing the config.save and manually changing the ldap urls and ldap address fields. It doesn't seem to read from whatever changes I make. I am totally out of ideas and would appreciate any advice. It seems like this should be a straightforward recovery.

Thanks,
    David

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You installed exactly the same version of Zimbra on the new server and the IP address is the same as the original and the DNS A & MX records are set correctly?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

The IP is different, but DNS and MX records are all correct.
    Last edited by phoenix; 08-01-2008 at 10:04 AM.

The IP needs to be the same.
    Regards

Bill

I forgot to add that the FDQN of the server needs to be the same, as well.
    Regards

Bill

Thanks for your help. Yes, the FQDN is the same too.

I can't. It's running on a VM and the old one is dead.

Default IP address?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    The IP needs to be the same.
    This doesn't mention anything about IP address:

Moving ZCS to Another Server » Zimbra :: Blog

David

consultorpc is offline Active Member

If you have changed the IP just look at /etc/hosts to see if the new IP is set correctly to the hostname here.

Thread Information