Thread: ubuntu 8.04, ldap not starting

eleith is offline Active Member

Default ubuntu 8.04, ldap not starting

i've gotten pretty far on the install, and i'm pretty sure the community build of ubuntu 8.04 is going to work for me, once i get past this issue.

during zmsetup.pl, i run into an error where ldap can not start.

from the forums, i'm lead to believe it has to do with my DNS configurations.

/etc/hosts, hostname, dig mydomain, dig mydomain mx all report the desired values.
    however, i am behind a home router, so this seems to cause zmsetup.pl to tell me it can't located my MX even though it comes up when running 'dig mydomain mx'.

so my questions are

1) why should starting ldap fail due to DNS lookup errors from within? or am i wrong, and is there something i should else i should look into? (i have no other ldap running, port 389 is not in use on my machine, and the permissions seem good)

2) since i am behind a router, and my machine has a private IP address, do i need to setup a split horizon DNS? (why, if dig mydomain, dig mydomain mx report the right values)

3) any reported success with setting up split horizon DNS without using bind9?

uxbod is offline Moderator

Yes if you are behind a firewall, with a private IP, then you will need to configure a split dns. The MX record will need to be resolvable by Postfix.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by eleith View Post
    i've gotten pretty far on the install, and i'm pretty sure the community build of ubuntu 8.04 is going to work for me, once i get past this issue.

during zmsetup.pl, i run into an error where ldap can not start.

from the forums, i'm lead to believe it has to do with my DNS configurations.
    That's the most likely reason.

/etc/hosts, hostname, dig mydomain, dig mydomain mx all report the desired values.
    however, i am behind a home router, so this seems to cause zmsetup.pl to tell me it can't located my MX even though it comes up when running 'dig mydomain mx'.
    If the set-up rotine can't find an MX record then it can't find the correct MX record. Post the output of the commands here so we can confirm if they're correct.

1) why should starting ldap fail due to DNS lookup errors from within? or am i wrong, and is there something i should else i should look into? (i have no other ldap running, port 389 is not in use on my machine, and the permissions seem good)
    As you've seen from the forums, it's the most likely reason. Are there any errors in the install logs? What errors do you see in the log files?

2) since i am behind a router, and my machine has a private IP address, do i need to setup a split horizon DNS? (why, if dig mydomain, dig mydomain mx report the right values)
    Yes, you need a split DNS et-up so Zimbra can resolve the LAN IP of your server.

3) any reported success with setting up split horizon DNS without using bind9?
    What else would you use? As long as you know how to do it in othe DNS servers then any will do the job.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

juanschwartz is offline Active Member

If you need any help, you can PM me for IM. I just did this last night and got everything working so it's fresh on my mind.

-J

Thread Information