Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zimbra IM not working...

jreinhart is offline Senior Member

Default Zimbra IM not working...

Hi! Thanks in advance for any help you give me.

I've recently started using Zimbra and will probably end up deploying it to several of my small business clients. I've installed ZCS 5 in a test environment on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron). The software works great, but the IM portion doesn't seem to work. I've reinstalled and made sure that the IM function of the server is installed and automatically enabled.

My confusion lies in 2 areas:
    1) How do you initiate a chat conversation with someone? I've tried any way I can think, but it doesn't seem to work on the other end. I could be doing it wrong, but in case I'm not here's the next area:
    2) How do you install chat so that users can chat with each other within the browser?

I guess what would probably clear up a bunch of my confusion would be a user guide or manual somewhere going over the IM functon of Zimbra. I've looked and so far have been unable to find it.

The IM feature isn't necessary for deployment, but if it's there I think it should work...and it seems like a slick feature (along with the Zimlets).

Thanks again for your help!

- Jesse

mmorse is offline Moderator

Welcome to the forums,

su - zimbra
    zmprov mcf zimbraXMPPEnabled TRUE
    zmprov mc COSname zimbraFeatureIMEnabled TRUE

(COSname is 'default' unless you've specified others. Anything with zimbraPref is possible as an individual user setting that can override class of service when set explicitly on an account, if not set it just inherits the parent COS.)

zmprov mc COSname zimbraPrefIMAutoLogin TRUE

Might also:
    zmprov mc COSname zimbraPrefIMNotifyPresence TRUE
    zmprov mc COSname zimbraPrefIMNotifyStatus TRUE
    zmprov mc COSname zimbraPrefIMReportIdle TRUE

Notifications:
    zmprov mc COSname zimbraPrefIMFlashIcon TRUE
    zmprov mc COSname zimbraPrefIMFlashTitle TRUE
    zmprov mc COSname zimbraPrefIMSoundsEnabled TRUE

Then add a new buddy, after they accept you can click their name to chat.

I see you put ZCS5 in your profile but could you put in your exact version? (zmcontrol -v) And is this NE? (you'll also have easy YIM integration then)

You can also use external XMPP/Jabber clients:
    Pidgin and Zimbra - Zimbra :: Wiki
    Spark and Zimbra - Zimbra :: Wiki
    Adium and Zimbra - Zimbra :: Wiki

My version is Release "5.0.7_GA_2450.UBUNTU8 UBUNTU8 FOSS edition."

It's the community/open source version. I work at a small computer consulting company with numerous small business clients and am trying it out to test it as a viable solution.

One of my confusions is on how to add a buddy though...maybe I'm just being really stupid but when I go to add a buddy it asks me for the buddy name...nothing seems to work (first name, firstname and lastname, e-mail address, etc). I'll try and see if the commands you gave me above changed that and let you know of the result.

Thanks for your quick response!

- Jesse

Well it didn't seem to work...I feel like I'm being stupid and just missing something obvious. When I add a buddy, I enter their address as username@domain.local which is the internal e-mail address that I can send him e-mail address on. That apparently is the only required field, but I fill out the other fields anyway. The service is Zimbra(local).

After I add them, nothing happens...

I feel like I'm missing something.

It's worth noting that when I right click the contact in the address book, the "New IM" option is grayed out.

- Jesse

mmorse is offline Moderator

Might not have noticed it, but a green dialog at the top should flash:
    imSubscribeAuthRequest_waiting = Waiting for {0} to accept your request

Now when this buddy logs into their account do they get an accept message?
    imSubscribeAuthRequest = {0} wants to add you as a buddy. Accept?

I ran through it again, and didn't see any flashing.

When the other user logs on to his Zimbra account there is no "Accept buddy" message. Also, when I add a buddy, he doesn't show in the buddy list, and any buddy groups I specify don't add. The only buddy listed is the Zimbra Assistant, and that doesn't even open up when I try to chat with it (although the window pauses for a second then plays a sound).

I've logged on to the hosted trial for Zimbra and can open a chat session with the Zimbra Assistant, so that indicates to me that the problem does not lie with my computer, but rather with the server or some setting(s) on it.

Any help? I'm out of ideas (and was before I posted here) and now that I've mentioned this to several of my clients they're looking forward to deployment and usage of the IM.

- Jesse

Anyone have ideas?

Default I think I've narrowed it down...

Well I think I have it narrowed down. I have been toying with Zimbra server on several platforms, and I loaded it on a Mac...IM works fine (so does the briefcase, which I had problems with the briefcase as well).

I think the problem has something to do with permissions in Ubuntu. I'm installing Zimbra on Ubuntu right now and will post back here with any information I discover.

- Jesse

Default Seems to be a bigger problem...

OK, well I've widened the problem. It seems to be because of some delivery problem with Zimbra in Ubuntu.

I've posted a different thread here: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/install...ving-mail.html

Zimbra works fine on Mac just out of the box in every way, but nothing seems to actually work on Ubuntu 8.04. I think it's a problem with DNS so I'm installing Bind and configuring it.

I'll update the other thread as it develops so please consider this thread old (not resolved but replaced).

Thanks for your help!

- Jesse

smirzai is offline New Member

Hi

I'm afraid I also have a similar problem. I have two installations of the Open Source edition, one on Mac OS X (tiger) and one on RHEL 5. Both used to be version 4.5 and then I upgraded them both to 5.0.11.

No matter what I do on either installation, absolutely nothing happens when I try to add a buddy - I type in the email address and name and click ok but nothing happens. The recipient does NOT get notified in any way and yet the lights are green on both sides.

Perhaps it works on a fresh installation, but both of mine are upgrades and IM does not work on either of them. I realise it's beta, but it would be useful to get to the bottom of it so that the problem can be fixed for the production release.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sham

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information