Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can send, but not recieve

stormchas3r is offline Active Member

Default Can send, but not recieve

OK, I got rid of the port 25 errors, but now I can send email out, but nothing is coming in, any thoughts? I found this in the logs "Mar 5 19:13:53 mail postfix/lmtp[30060]: 4BAAB446FA: to=<3@knix.com>, relay=none, delay=0, status=bounced (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=mail.knix.com ty$
    Mar 5 19:13:53 mail postfix/cleanup[30042]: 9D80F446F2: message-id=<20060306001353.9D80F446F2@mail.knix.com>"

I ran a email test and this was the outcome "Trying to connect to all mailservers:
    mail.knix.com - 61.*.*.* [Could not connect: Could not connect to mail server (timed out).]"

So its not connecting to my mail server, any help?

How can I solve this, I will do anything to get this working?
    Last edited by stormchas3r; 03-05-2006 at 06:06 PM.

marcmac is offline Expert Member

kiwicmc is offline Senior Member

Default install from vmware

If I bring down the vmware image, should I be able to immediately send emails to users that I have created from the zimbraAdmin? Or do I need to do more configuration?

I have created two users, an dtry to send a email from one to the another. I can log in successfully on both accounts and can see the email in the sent folder, but no mail arrives.

I can see no errors in any of the logs in /opt/zimbra/log

where else should I be looking?

Regards,
    Chris

stormchas3r is offline Active Member

isnt my MTA on the same machine as the zimbramailhost?

To test this, telnet from the MTA to the zimbraMailHost on port 7025 by name (not by IP). If this is resolving to an IP address on your Firewall, make sure the port is forwarded on to the zimbraMailHost.

I checked out the wiki you posted, but still cannot fix this issue.

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Quote Originally Posted by stormchas3r
    isnt my MTA on the same machine as the zimbramailhost?

To test this, telnet from the MTA to the zimbraMailHost on port 7025 by name (not by IP). If this is resolving to an IP address on your Firewall, make sure the port is forwarded on to the zimbraMailHost.

I checked out the wiki you posted, but still cannot fix this issue.
    Can you telnet from your IP address to port 7025?

host `hostname`

This will give you an IP. Then try telnet to that IP on 7025.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwicmc
    If I bring down the vmware image, should I be able to immediately send emails to users that I have created from the zimbraAdmin? Or do I need to do more configuration?

I have created two users, an dtry to send a email from one to the another. I can log in successfully on both accounts and can see the email in the sent folder, but no mail arrives.

I can see no errors in any of the logs in /opt/zimbra/log

where else should I be looking?

Regards,
    Chris
    vmware image? Not sure what you're referring to - but if it's hosting zimbra, and you bring it down, then mail won't flow.

Mail not being delivered "across" the system usually means that the MX record for the domain is pointing somewhere else - check the wiki for mail routing problems, or disable DNS and set up a relay host.

Maja is offline Active Member

I'm having a similar issue, can send but not receive. I have also reviewed the WIKI, but as of yet I cannot determine why I cannot receive. I have an outside server in which I can connet to Postfix fine, thus my firewall rules appear to be in place. I see no errors in my logs indicating that postfix is having an issue (no connection refused). Additionally I have verified that I can telnet to the zimbraMailHost on port 7025 and receive a connection from the LMTP server.

I guess the big concern is that I don't see anything in the logs indicating an attempt even. I do have an MX record set up, which is how I am testing Postfix externally (on port 25). I used DNSStuff's email test (http://www.dnsstuff.com) and it confirmed that it could route the email correctly and receive a connection to my mail server. So after doing all that, I must admit I am somewhat at a loss as to what the issue is. I will admit I am in no way a mail expert, so any assistance you can provide for troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Can you also telnet to port 25 from your LAN? Can you send an email through Zimbra by that method? Do you have SElinux installed/active? If you do, disable it. Are you absolutely positive that all the required ports for Zimbra are passed through the firewall?

Have you done a search through the forums for this issue? There's probably more info here at present than in the wiki.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Here's how I debug this stuff:

open 2 shell windows, plus a mail client for an external mail system ( I use gmail ).

window 1:
    tail -f /var/log/zimbra.log | grep postf
    window 2:
    tail -f /opt/zimbra/log/zimbra.log

Send a mail

Anything in the postfix window? What's the last line postfix logs?

Works best on a system with no traffic, since there's less stuff to sort through.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Maja is offline Active Member

First, thanks for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix
    Can you also telnet to port 25 from your LAN? Can you send an email through Zimbra by that method?
    Yes I can. I can send an email by connecting from one server to my Zimbra server, then issuing mail commands, at the connection prompt, to send an email. That gets delivered fine.

Do you have SElinux installed/active? If you do, disable it.
    Actually initially it was installed and active. To ensure that I ran into no issues, I went ahead and laid down a fresh install of FC4, with SELinux disabled.

Are you absolutely positive that all the required ports for Zimbra are passed through the firewall?
    Well when one runs into issues, it is never a bad idea to check again. In this case, the only port I imagine I would need, to receive emails, would be port 25 to my Zimbra server. I also have port 110 for POP and 143 for IMAP. I have verified at least port 25 by connecting to my host from an outside server and receiving the connection prompt.

Have you done a search through the forums for this issue? There's probably more info here at present than in the wiki.
    I have searched, and continue to search, for ideas that might point my in the right direction. The one thing that I keep wondering is if somehow my provider was blocking emails. My assumption, though, is that if that were the case, they would block all incoming, and outgoing, port 25 traffic, which is not the case as I can send emails with no issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information