Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can send, but not recieve

Maja is offline Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by marcmac
    Here's how I debug this stuff:

open 2 shell windows, plus a mail client for an external mail system ( I use gmail ).

window 1:
    tail -f /var/log/zimbra.log | grep postf
    window 2:
    tail -f /opt/zimbra/log/zimbra.log

Send a mail

Anything in the postfix window? What's the last line postfix logs?

Works best on a system with no traffic, since there's less stuff to sort through.
    The ironic thing is I see nothing in my logs for Postfix. It is running, this I can verify, and will accept connections, but it is loggin nothing and I am receiving zero emails.

marcmac is offline Expert Member

Then email sent to your domain isn't being sent to your server. Set your MX record up, and try again.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

I just did go in and make some changes to the MX record, after reading another post. Now if only DNS was faster.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully this will resolve my issues.

[EDIT]I really really should delay my posts for 10 minutes. I found another thread talking about logging, and as it turns out, Zimbra is logging in two different places: /opt/zimbra/log/zimbra.log and /var/log/zimbra.log. Least I have something to look at now. Sorry for the unecessary post

I may officially be losing my mind. I found another test that allowed me to verify my DNS settings. In doing so, it ran an email test:

Information The mail server accepted email for 'abuse@mydomain.com' email address as it should have (250 Ok).
    Information The mail server correctly rejected email to 'email_validation_service@domaincheckingservice.pi ngability.com' (554 : Relay access denied)

Ok, so appears that should be positive, right? I does say it accepted the email. I have an alias set up for abuse@mydomain.com to go to admin@mydomain.com. Question is then, if it accepted the email, then why did I see nothing in the logs, nor did that user get the email?

Should I not see something related to Postfix in my logs? The documentation states there is a log for mysql, tomcat, postfix, etc..., yet I dont see anything related to Postfix. I believe I have validated all the connectivity I can; it appears I have something misconfigured, yet it doesn't seem to mind.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Maja; 03-22-2006 at 02:33 PM.

marcmac is offline Expert Member

You're making the assumption that the mail server that the tests talked to is the mailserver that you just installed - and if you're not getting mail, and not seeing anything in the logs, that's almost certainly NOT the case.

What does an MX lookup of your domain return? Against an external DNS server (not the one on your network). Is that IP the same as your mailserver?
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Sorry Marc, you beat me to my correction. Turn out Zimbra is logging in two different places. Least now I can begin to troubleshoot, now that I am receiving logs. Sorry for the unnecessary post.

Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information