Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to use an existing IMAP server (Dovecot)

przyswa is offline Senior Member

Default How to use an existing IMAP server (Dovecot)

Hi,

We already have our own IMAP server and I would like use already IMAP user accounts in Zimbra, how to do that ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sam.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

If you're asking if the current server can be used with ZImbra then the answer is no, you'll need to migrate the users and mail to Zimbra. User Migration - Zimbra :: Wiki
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Argh...

If Zimbra can't use our IMAP server Zimbra is not the collaborative tool that we need.

Sorry.

Sam.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

What do you mean by 'use the IMAP server'? It's clearly stated in the documents, and covered in the forums many times, that Zimbra is a complete package and must be installed as such.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

...as I said, sorry, but as most of OpenSource apps I thought Zimbra was able to communicate with open protocols with different servers (POP, IMAP, SMTP) in fact the philosophy is close to proprietary apps but with OpenSource tools.

It's pity because it look very nice and it was all that we need in collaborative application, mail, calendars shared with Google Agenda, etc.

Anyway thanks for your help.

Sam.

p24t is offline Moderator

Zimbra comes with its own IMAP server.

Your question sounded like you wanted to use your own IMAP server underneath Zimbra, which is not possible, since it provides its own IMAP services.

Quote Originally Posted by p24t View Post
    Zimbra comes with its own IMAP server.

Your question sounded like you wanted to use your own IMAP server underneath Zimbra, which is not possible, since it provides its own IMAP services.
    Yes it's nice but it should be more nice with the ability to use a previous installed IMAP server I think that a lot of people should be happy too.

Thanks anyway.

Sam.

mmorse is offline Moderator

I wouldn't choose to run permanently this way, Zimbra's IMAP is far better, but you can provision users and connect them to external account aggregation if you wish.

Make sure the external POP/IMAP feature is enabled in admin console COS, then open a user account in the web-client > preferences > accounts > add external account.

You'll need to enable the 'allow sending from these address' feature or the safer route is to manually specify allowed addresses (the other IMAP account):

Hopefully you're hooking up to a shared ldap for auth...if you end up having to create user@zcs.domain.com accounts you could set the zimbraDefaultDomain to zcs.domain.com so users don't have to type the full address.

You're more than welcome to file an RFE for 'seamless to user IMAP hookups' and explain your idea if you want. But that's not a standard configuration, lots of people have multiple MTA's (other + ZCS) but in the IMAP world you want to be talking to the mailstore, in effect you're now using double the space to store everything (Dovecot & Zimbra boxes).
    Last edited by mmorse; 07-07-2008 at 06:13 PM.

Yes, I tried the external IMAP accounts but as you said the mails are stored in double and the folders Sent, Draft, Trash, aren't managed as it should do. At this time users use Thunderbird and some of them Outlook and we have to keep our existing IMAP server.

For me it's very pity because Zimbra it's a really nice collaborative tool. I make a test with Google Agenda and that's work fine too and then synchronize my Blackberry calendar.

So perhaps in a next future Zimbra well be able to talk directly with an external IMAP server as eGroupware. In fact I had plan to replace eGroupware with Zimbra, maybe with a next release...

Thanks again.

Sam.

mmorse is offline Moderator

Welp, sorry it doesn't workout - be sure to file a RFE if you want to see that feature someday.

Should you decide to convert in the future might start here: User Migration From Dovecot With External LDAP - Zimbra :: Wiki (you can ignore the 'with external LDAP' part of the title if it doesn't apply to you)

User Migration - Zimbra :: Wiki
    Split Domain - Zimbra :: Wiki

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information