Thread: FOSS Cluster of any sort?

quietas is offline Elite Member

Default FOSS Cluster of any sort?

I've got a pile of older P4s, is there anyway to use them in a cluster with the FOSS version? My funding has been eaten and my execs are reluctant at this point to hand me cash for a new server hardware and software.

Cluster somehow, be it through Zimbra or the OS. Just something to get the most out of the equipment I have.
    Culley
    Mail | Dell 2950III | 2x Quad Core 5420 | 8gb RAM | 6x 146gb SAS RAID 0+1 | Red Hat 5.3 | Zimbra 6.0.10 Network Edition
    Test | VMware ESXi Whitebox | Phenom II Black 3.2ghz | 12gb RAM | 6x 1tb SATA RAID 0+1 | CentOS 5.4 | FOSS, Not in use now

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Probably not. If they're old, they're probably not good enough (or have enough RAM) for zcs anyway...not to mention any cluster suite you have on top of if it.

Rich Graves is offline Outstanding Member

If you are hurting for peformance, you can distribute load somewhat by putting logger and mta functions on different machines. A multi-server install adds complexity, though, especially at upgrade time. I'd assume you're short on staff time as well as money.

Giving /opt/zimbra a separate partition/separate hard drive if possible will help recoverability. In case of hardware failure, you could easily move the /opt/zimbra disk to another system (as long as that disk isn't the component that failed).

quietas is offline Elite Member

Unfortunately that was what I was thinking as well. I just have half a dozen olf SFF HP's at home that I need something to do with.

As for staff, since we just lost a person I am the sole IT being for 200 users in 3 cities spread over 5 locations.
    Culley
    Mail | Dell 2950III | 2x Quad Core 5420 | 8gb RAM | 6x 146gb SAS RAID 0+1 | Red Hat 5.3 | Zimbra 6.0.10 Network Edition
    Test | VMware ESXi Whitebox | Phenom II Black 3.2ghz | 12gb RAM | 6x 1tb SATA RAID 0+1 | CentOS 5.4 | FOSS, Not in use now

Thread Information