Thread: Very slow and other problems

scandog is offline Active Member

Default Very slow and other problems

Hi,

I have just setup Zimbra, after quite a bit of struggling. Everything seems to be running but it is so slow.

I am running it on a 1.7Ghz Xeon workstation with 1Gig ram and 2 scsi 18.1Gig HD in Raid1 (software raid) running Centos 4.2

Even on the local network it takes 2-3 seconds after clicking on anyting to have things change. I am accessing it on a 100Mbs network using a Dual 2.2Gig Althon MP machine with 1Gig ram running XP pro.

I am trying to decide wether to use Zimbra or Scalix as a corp server for 200+ users.

I had Scalix installed on a PII 400 with 512meg ram and on the local network it was almost real time with slight lag.

My second problem was setting up Zimbra. I had tons of problems with my hosts. Yes I have read alot of the postings with this and got it working I think. No errors. It did complain about my Mx record but I just said no to change the dns.

My test setup:
    Mx record setup with dnspark. pointing to my external ip on my IPcop box. Ipcop forwards 24 & 110 to my email server (Zimbra). I have a host setup in my Ipcop box with test.example.com (for example) pointing to my zimbra box.

On my zimbra box I have my hosts setup as follows
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    192.168.2.16 test.example.com test

After setting up zimbra it wants to use test.example.com for the server. Let me explain (I am new to email setups)

The admin email is admin@test.example.com (this is not right)
    It should be admin@example.com (this is the domian setup with dnspark)

If I send email from my zimbra server the get out. It I send to it they don't and come back.

Man I have babbled alot.

Scalix was so easy to setup, but I really like what zimbra can do. I really hope I can resolve these problems

Thanks

Scandog

KevinH is offline Expert Member

What does your logs say? /opt/zimbra/log/zimbra.log?
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

It says alot but I am not sure what to look for. I have attached it

Also I have found that the web interface either webmail or admin is 3+ times faster in Firefox than in IE (could be even higher)

I am running IE 6 and Firefox 1.04 and 1.5 (both are faster than IE by 3x or more)
    Attached Files Attached Files

It was an empty file....
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Sorry I renamed the file and deleted the contents to see what would come up.

Here is the original file.

By the way your product is prefect for what we need for a couple big projects.

But the speed issue is a very big issue.

I was able to add another domain and have the mail it works to send and receive now. My only problem now is the speed. Even with firefox being so much faster it is still not usable on a slower computer, and just barable on a fast computer (client)

Scandog
    Attached Files Attached Files

Describe the server specs? Can you also describe a client machine?

Thread Information