Thread: External LDAP

l30b4d is offline Starter Member

Default External LDAP

Hi,

I am trying to install the zimbra GA with the suse package.

I configure an external LDAP with zimbra schema and at installation I point the LDAP host to my LDAP external server.

The problem is:

The installation process are trying to create all CA certificates and put on local directory. This is not working because my LDAP server is in other machine. Then I complete the installation but all information that must be in the LDAP server are not configured.

How can I proceed to install the Zimbra with external LDAP server?

Thanks,

Leonardo Bispo de Oliveira

marcmac is offline Expert Member

take the install scripts (install.sh, zmsetup.pl, postinstall.pm) apart and either fix or remove everything that's not working with the external ldap server.

This isn't a configuration we support.

JohnPeacock is offline New Member

Exactly how is Zimbra intending to support external LDAP servers then? I'm considering how I can integrate Zimbra into our network, where we have Novell's eDirectory as our primary user database. Can I safely point Zimbra at a replica of our eDirectory database for both authentication and GAL, and have Zimbra maintain it's own LDAP database for it's specific attributes?

It would be so much easier to add an auxiliary class to eDirectory containing the Zimbra class extensions and have Zimbra use that 100% of the time. My users get support for a single password (so they whine less when I make them change it every 45 days), and my incremental administration cost goes down to nothing, since Zimbra will automatically find new users.

John

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPeacock
    Can I safely point Zimbra at a replica of our eDirectory database for both authentication and GAL, and have Zimbra maintain it's own LDAP database for it's specific attributes?
    Yes; that is exactly how we expect it to happen.

It would be so much easier to add an auxiliary class to eDirectory containing the Zimbra class extensions and have Zimbra use that 100% of the time.
    Well if it was a one-time thing that'd would be nice. What about upgrades? We make this simple with our pkg'd OpenLDAP since it's in our control. It would be much harder to update a foreign LDAP each time. Which is the main reason we took the current approach.

My users get support for a single password (so they whine less when I make them change it every 45 days), and my incremental administration cost goes down to nothing, since Zimbra will automatically find new users.
    You can disable the update password feature from Zimbra so user's can use whatever they use today for password updates. Zimbra will use your directory for auth so the only over head would be the one-time cost to add an extra call to zmprov into your account creation process. Assuming you have this automated, Zimbra's overhead should be zero for ongoing account related maintenance.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Thread Information