Thread: [SOLVED] DynDNS and Domain Names - Trouble Receiving Mail

ryazkhan is offline Junior Member

Default [SOLVED] DynDNS and Domain Names - Trouble Receiving Mail

Hi dwmtractor
    I Just join this forum today after a great success in your how to, with help of your how to I got zimbra working I can send mail to whole world but can receive only from local user (users who have mailbox in my zimbra server) that is the only issue I am having right now other than that every thing worked like charm thank you to your greate article. I have zimbra ver 4.5.7 for ubuntu6 installed.
    Here is my setup
    I am behind a basic router and I am using dyndns to access any services running on my internal machines. I am using it because I dont have static IP address so my ISP changed my ip frequetly so it is helpfull in that case.
    I would be very thankful to you or any body on forum who help me to set my zimbra system that way so I can receive mail from out world as well along with my local users. My domain is freetech.selfip.info and right now my zimbra mail server is named as mail and my domain is freetech.info for internal and the problem is somebody else own this as well, but any way guys any help would be appreciated
    Thank you all in advance
    Last edited by ryazkhan; 05-30-2008 at 06:49 AM.

dwmtractor is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ryazkhan View Post
    Hi dwmtractor
    I Just join this forum today after a great success in your how to, with help of your how to I got zimbra working I can send mail to whole world but can receive only from local user (users who have mailbox in my zimbra server) that is the only issue I am having right now other than that every thing worked like charm thank you to your greate article. I have zimbra ver 4.5.7 for ubuntu6 installed.
    Here is my setup
    I am behind a basic router and I am using dyndns to access any services running on my internal machines. I am using it because I dont have static IP address so my ISP changed my ip frequetly so it is helpfull in that case.
    I would be very thankful to you or any body on forum who help me to set my zimbra system that way so I can receive mail from out world as well along with my local users. My domain is freetech.selfip.info and right now my zimbra mail server is named as mail and my domain is freetech.info for internal and the problem is somebody else own this as well, but any way guys any help would be appreciated
    Thank you all in advance
    Hi Ryaz,

It looks to me like you have set up your external MX record incorrectly. I looked up your domain with dig and here's what I got:
    admin@mail:~$ dig MX freetech.selfip.info

; <<>> DiG 9.3.2 <<>> MX freetech.selfip.info
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 49069
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 5, ADDITIONAL: 6

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;freetech.selfip.info. IN MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    freetech.selfip.info. 60 IN MX 5 freetech.selfip.info.
    freetech.selfip.info. 60 IN MX 10 mail.freetech.info.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    selfip.info. 86208 IN NS ns4.dyndns.org.
    selfip.info. 86208 IN NS ns5.dyndns.org.
    selfip.info. 86208 IN NS ns1.dyndns.org.
    selfip.info. 86208 IN NS ns2.dyndns.org.
    selfip.info. 86208 IN NS ns3.dyndns.org.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
    freetech.selfip.info. 60 IN A 74.76.51.6
    ns1.dyndns.org. 61074 IN A 63.208.196.90
    ns2.dyndns.org. 61074 IN A 204.13.249.75
    ns3.dyndns.org. 61074 IN A 208.78.69.75
    ns4.dyndns.org. 59984 IN A 91.198.22.75
    ns5.dyndns.org. 61074 IN A 203.62.195.75

;; Query time: 114 msec
    ;; SERVER: 10.3.2.244#53(10.3.2.244)
    ;; WHEN: Fri May 30 08:38:19 2008
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 280
    Note you have two MX records, 5 and 10, and they point to different servers, neither of which is correct. You need ONLY one record (delete the other one):
    Code:
    freetech.selfip.info.   60      IN      MX      10 mail.freetech.selfip.info.
    (note you excluded the "selfip" string from your record) because the plain "mail.freetech.info" resolves to a completely different place:
    Code:
    PING mail.freetech.info (64.26.134.163) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from mail.kaplunk.com (64.26.134.163): icmp_seq=1 ttl=111 time=93.7 ms
    64 bytes from mail.kaplunk.com (64.26.134.163): icmp_seq=2 ttl=111 time=94.3 ms
    64 bytes from mail.kaplunk.com (64.26.134.163): icmp_seq=3 ttl=111 time=94.2 ms
    So I think what's been happening is that your mail has been going to somebody else's server (oops!).

Hope this helps,
    Cheers,

Dan

Thank you for getting back to me I appreciate that. I have some typo in my question sorry about that I mean I can not receive mails from outside of the world but I can send to the work. Locally is it working fine all users on my zimbra server can send and recive mails to each other and vice versa. The problem is I can receive mails from any body but local user. mail.freetech.info is belong to someone else but not me I will try to correct that if it worked for me.
    Thanks in advance for your help which I am expecting form you and of course thanks for that help you provided to me.
    wiki.zimbra is not working any idea?

Quote Originally Posted by ryazkhan View Post
    Thank you for getting back to me I appreciate that. I have some typo in my question sorry about that I mean I can not receive mails from outside of the world but I can send to the work. Locally is it working fine all users on my zimbra server can send and recive mails to each other and vice versa. The problem is I can receive mails from any body but local user. mail.freetech.info is belong to someone else but not me I will try to correct that if it worked for me.
    Thanks in advance for your help which I am expecting form you and of course thanks for that help you provided to me.
    wiki.zimbra is not working any idea?
    I'm sorry if this is confusing--the problem is that somebody else already owns freetech.info, so address@freetech.info is going to go to them not to you. Your own mail must be addressed to address@freetech.selfip.info for it to go to your users. Your DNS records at selfip have also got to all say mail.freetech.selfip.info as well. Since someone else owns freetech.info there is NO WAY that you can use it. I would recommend against using it internally either, for the simple reason that it's going to confuse your users.

Put a different way, although it is POSSIBLE to use as an internal domain, one that other people own on the "outside" it is not ADVISABLE due to confusion in both users' and computers' minds.
    Cheers,

Dan

Thank you very much for getting back to me, you are so knowledge, helpful and nice guy
    I am very excited to tell you that my zimbra server in now working and I am able to send/receive mails to any one.
    Thank you Thank you sooooo much you were very help full to me.
    Take care.

Glad to know it worked for you! Come back often. . .these forums are great for getting going and staying going!

I broke this chain out into a new thread to make it easier for others to find the solution in case they need it, and will mark the thread solved.
    Cheers,

Dan

Thread Information