Thread: [SOLVED] URGENT: Failed upgrade, trying to revert to backup

Cheakamus is offline Active Member

Exclamation [SOLVED] URGENT: Failed upgrade, trying to revert to backup

I have been running 4.5.6 OS on Ubuntu LTS for a while and recently decided to go with the commercial version. Before doing the upgrade I backed up the /opt/zimbra directory (stopped zimbra then ran rsync -avHK /opt/zimbra/ /opt/zimbra.backup). The upgrade failed, so I'm trying to restore the backed up version. I removed /opt/zimbra then ran cp -a /opt/zimbra.bak /opt/zimbra. Now when I attempt to start zimbra I get:

zimbra@whistler:~$ zmcontrol start
    Host whistler.novadx.com
    Starting ldap...Done.
    Starting logger...Done.
    Starting mailbox...FAILED
    Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /opt/zimbra/db/data
    Sorry, user zimbra is not allowed to execute '/opt/zimbra/libexec/zmtomcatmgr status' as root on localhost.localdomain.
    Sorry, user zimbra is not allowed to execute '/opt/zimbra/libexec/zmtomcatmgr start -Xms810m -Xmx810m -client -XX:NewRatio=2 -Djava.awt.headless=true' as root on localhost.localdomain.

Starting imapproxy...FAILED
    Starting imap4
    Sorry, user zimbra is not allowed to execute '/opt/zimbra/perdition/sbin/perdition -P imap4 --config_file=/opt/zimbra/conf/perdition.conf -p 7143 --ssl_mode tls_all --imap_capability IMAP4rev1 STARTTLS BINARY CHILDREN ID LITERAL+ LOGIN-REFERRALS NAMESPACE QUOTA SASL-IR UIDPLUS UNSELECT -l 143 -s localhost --pid_file /opt/zimbra/log/perdition.imap4.pid -u zimbra -g zimbra' as root on localhost.localdomain.
    Starting imap4s
    Sorry, user zimbra is not allowed to execute '/opt/zimbra/perdition/sbin/perdition -P imap4s --config_file=/opt/zimbra/conf/perdition.conf -p 7143 --ssl_mode ssl_listen --imap_capability IMAP4rev1 STARTTLS BINARY CHILDREN ID LITERAL+ LOGIN-REFERRALS NAMESPACE QUOTA SASL-IR UIDPLUS UNSELECT -l 993 -s localhost --pid_file /opt/zimbra/log/perdition.imap4s.pid -u zimbra -g zimbra' as root on localhost.localdomain.
    Starting pop3
    Sorry, user zimbra is not allowed to execute '/opt/zimbra/perdition/sbin/perdition -P pop3 --config_file=/opt/zimbra/conf/perdition.conf -p 7110 --ssl_mode tls_all --pop_capability TOP USER UIDL STLS EXPIRE 31 USER -l 110 -s localhost --pid_file /opt/zimbra/log/perdition.pop3.pid -u zimbra -g zimbra' as root on localhost.localdomain.
    Starting pop3s
    Sorry, user zimbra is not allowed to execute '/opt/zimbra/perdition/sbin/perdition -P pop3s --config_file=/opt/zimbra/conf/perdition.conf -p 7995 --ssl_mode ssl_all --pop_capability TOP USER UIDL STLS EXPIRE 31 USER -l 995 -s localhost --pid_file /opt/zimbra/log/perdition.pop3s.pid -u zimbra -g zimbra' as root on localhost.localdomain.
    imap4 is not running
    imap4s is not running
    pop3 is not running
    pop3s is not running

Starting antispam...Done.
    Starting antivirus...Done.
    Starting snmp...Done.
    Starting spell...Done.
    Starting mta...FAILED
    /opt/zimbra/postfix-2.2.9/sbin/postalias: error while loading shared libraries: libldap-2.3.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    /opt/zimbra/postfix-2.2.9/sbin/postfix: error while loading shared libraries: libldap-2.3.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    postfix failed to start

zimbra@whistler:~$

I need to get this going ASAP. Can anyone help?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Cheakamus; 06-01-2008 at 04:04 PM.

Unhappy

I just realized that I used rsync -avHK to back up then cp -a to restore. I'm trying with rsync -avHK to do restore and will see what happens. Unfortunately it's a 13GB store so it takes a while...

Same result...

It asks me for a password when trying to start, though. I enter the zimbra user's password and get the same problem.

Found first problem. The upgrade had rewritten my /etc/sudoers file. Now tracking down missing ldap libraries...

/etc/ld.so.conf was also overwritten. Fortunately I had done a full system backup before this endeavour!

dwmtractor is offline Moderator

Just for the record, in case others come across this thread, there are some differences in the binary installation for NE and FOSS, so this is a risky way to restore.

The recommended restore option (assuming you've kept a copy of /opt/zimbra as you quite correctly did) is:

1) Re-install the version of Zimbra that was running when you did the backup--and by this I mean really re-run the binary installation package itself. For this reason, you should always keep your installation binaries for your current (working) install until you have verified that your upgrade works.

2) Once the install finishes and starts Zimbra successfully, stop all Zimbra services using zmcontrol stop

3) Now copy the entire contents of your backed up /opt/zimbra over onto the live install /opt/zimbra directories (rsync is good for this but don't get confused which is source and which is destination!!!

4) Restart Zimbra services with zmcontrol start
    Cheers,

Dan

Thread Information