Thread: Zimbra mailbox/server question?

flyinraptr is offline Member

Default Zimbra mailbox/server question?

Hi,

I was running Zimbra Open Source Edition on Ubuntu 7.10 with only a couple of mailboxes. The motherboard on the server fried .... thankfully I had performed a full backup a few days before and the hard drive itself is ok.

I have built a new server (Ubuntu 8.10) on new hardware with a larger drive (I've installed the hard drive from the original server as a secondary drive and have successfully mounted it - all of the original files are accessible).

I'd like to try the new community version on Zimbra 5.06 for Ubuntu 8.10. What I would like to do is a fresh install of v5.06 and then either restore, import or simply copy the mailboxes from the previous backup or filesystem?

Any suggestions on the best or easiest way to accomplish this?

Or would it be better to install version 5.02 first - restore and then upgrade to 5.06?

Thanks -

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You should install the same version of Zimbra as you had on your original server, make sure it's running then restore the old version. When you've done that and made sure it's working OK you can take a backup then upgrade.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

flyinraptr is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You should install the same version of Zimbra as you had on your original server, make sure it's running then restore the old version. When you've done that and made sure it's working OK you can take a backup then upgrade.
    Thanks for the reply ..... do you recommend doing a traditional restore from the last backup or .... since I have the original drive mounted - could I do a fresh install and then manually copy over the database files?

Thread Information