Thread: Installing Zimbra without the FQDN

DJ Ghost is offline Senior Member

Default Installing Zimbra without the FQDN

Hi,

I'm having to mutch things not working correctly on my installation so I start to think that maybe my installation is not valid.
    During the installation process, in the Installation menu I kept the FQDN found by Zimbra (host.domain.org) but changed the name for the domain created by the installation process to be without the host name, so only domain.org.
    Is it allowed ?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Ghost View Post
    Hi,

I'm having to mutch things not working correctly on my installation so I start to think that maybe my installation is not valid.
    During the installation process, in the Installation menu I kept the FQDN found by Zimbra (host.domain.org) but changed the name for the domain created by the installation process to be without the host name, so only domain.org.
    How and where, exactly, did you change the domain name?

Is it allowed ?
    It is 'allowed' in the sense that you can do it but it's not correct. You should use a FQDN for the server, it will consist of a host name (the name of the server e.g. mail) plus your domain name (e.g.domain.com) so you should have mail.domain.com as the FQDN.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

When I installed Zimbra, in the installation menu I changed the name of the default domain created during install. The default domain's name is set to have the host name inside. I changed that to keep only domain.org in the default domain's name. Then everything is with the FQDN (for ldap etc) excepted for the default domain's name.
    Hope it's better said like this.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

When I installed Zimbra, in the installation menu I changed the name of the default domain created during install. The default domain's name is set to have the host name inside. I changed that to keep only domain.org in the default domain's name. Then everything is with the FQDN (for ldap etc) excepted for the default domain's name.
    Hope it's better said like this.
    Then that's what you should have and is the correct set-up. I know you've had some problems earlier and you've made various changes to your server. Is this now a new install and what seems to be the problems you're having now? Is this a live or a test server?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Hi, this is a full new installation, I started from 0 and did not restore anything from the previous installation.
    By now we are just a few persons using it to build a project we're working on, so we need it but I considere it as a way to test and setup things.
    Yesterday I was not able to connect using Mail.app on OS X 10.5.2 and IMAP protocol. I thought it was a problem of installation but I discovered that once I've allowed clear passwords in the IMAP pane of the Admin console for the server it worked.

(About the admin console, in Firefox (last release) I cannot get it in english even if my preferences' acount are set to english. In Safari I can get it in english but the admin console is unusable for to many things)

When I create a new calendar and checked "Synchronize appointements from remote calandar" with a url like https://server.domain.com/home/user-name/Calendar I got an error saying that the URL is not availlable. I tried with user-name@domain.com in the URL too but it changed nothing.

So I thought maybe my installation was not ok.

In the Admin console, when I select the server, on the MTA Agent tab, I have localhost in the name field of the Webmail MTA agent (sorry, my admin console is in french !)
    Is this normal ?

Thread Information