Thread: [SOLVED] Ubuntu 804 LTS support?

kevindods is offline Advanced Member

Default [SOLVED] Ubuntu 804 LTS support?

I may have missed it, but has anyone actually found a clear statement about both OSS and NE, 804 support? I see comments in bugzilla about the fact they will at some point support it and that it may possibly relate to other release schedules of Zimbra (not sure why), but in fact what I want to know is from what date that will actually be.

The issue for us with previous LTS on Ubuntu is not that the release is bad or poor, it was very good, it's really the support of current hardware. We are to upgrade all our servers to take advantage of new power and processor developments but as 606 is now 2 years old, they are not as widely supported.

A lot has happened in the 24 months since 606, and 804 does work with more hardware out of the box and I would rather go with a clean OS build on new hardware than fudge the 606 installs or buy the older generation of kit. I know it's only about a month since 804 was GA but it has been in the pipeline for a fair while, so it was no great surprise ;-)

Please, can we have a simple statement that 804 will be supported from a specified date. If it's going to be December 31st 2008 then at least we will know and can make decisions based on that. For a commercial product can this not be given so that we can plan deployments to some degree. Please?

Klug is offline Moderator

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by kevindods View Post
    Please, can we have a simple statement that 804 will be supported from a specified date. If it's going to be December 31st 2008 then at least we will know and can make decisions based on that. For a commercial product can this not be given so that we can plan deployments to some degree. Please?
    We do not pre-announce dates for product releases although the intention is support for Ubuntu 8.04 LTS as mentioned in the RFE, you can track product details and target versions for the bug via the Product Portal.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

So can we say that does mean we won't get 804 support until 5.5 is released, whenever that may be? I can understand not pre-announcing a new Zimbra product release but I was not aware offering a current Zimbra version on an updated OS constituted the same thing. If so that explains a lot.

So is the statement:

Ubuntu 804 LTS will not be supported until Zimbra 5.5 is released.

correct and official Zimbra policy? If so that will constitute a reliable fact in my book ;-)

Can you please confirm that is the position?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

As you have seen, that RFE is attached to the 5.5 release of Zimbra and that's when (at the earliest) it may be released. It may also be in a 5.5.x point release but the likelihood is that it will be released sometime this year. Now, as always, I have to qualify that with the fact it is a target but circumstances may change.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks phoenix and Klug, that answers the question. It's not great news but its a definitive answer, no 804 till 5.5 or later.

Cheers!

Thread Information