Thread: [SOLVED] Setting up email response aliases for non-system domains

cheros is offline Active Member
    At home :-). In a country which has 6 national languages and a gazillion dialects.

Default [SOLVED] Setting up email response aliases for non-system domains

I have a test system running the open source version, Zimbra 5.03 (I think - where can I see that?). It lives at host.mydomain.com (for example).
    In one of the test mailboxes it does a download of a POP3 server, account "bla@someotherdomain.org", but the user cannot respond to emails coming in from there as from "bla@someotherdomain.org", only as "user@mydomain.com". The only mod possible is set the "reply to" header but that's not really the aim.

I cannot set up an alias either because that is really a postfix function and only works with domains set up on the machine.

Did I miss something in configuration or is this really not possible?

BTW, is there a way I can add disclaimers per mail domain? I personally don't believe in them, but some people appear to feel the need for it..

uxbod is offline Moderator

Code:
    su - zimbra
    zmcontrol -v
    there is no reason why you could not setup that POP3 domain on your server, and then this would allow the user to select that domain once a alias is setup. Obviously emails will still go to where the MX is, but the result will be what you are after.

Only system wide Domain Disclaimer Extension Admin UI - Zimbra :: Wiki can be added at the moment. This is community driven so may include unsupported customizations. You could always file a RFE for this functionality

At home :-). In a country which has 6 national languages and a gazillion dialects.

Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    Code:
    su - zimbra
    zmcontrol -v
    there is no reason why you could not setup that POP3 domain on your server, and then this would allow the user to select that domain once a alias is setup. Obviously emails will still go to where the MX is, but the result will be what you are after.
    Wouldn't that cause outgoing emails to other users of that domain to be considered local (and thus fail delivery?).

Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    Only system wide Domain Disclaimer Extension Admin UI - Zimbra :: Wiki can be added at the moment. This is community driven so may include unsupported customizations. You could always file a RFE for this functionality
    There's actually a post there for adding domain specific disclaimers as well - so that's solved in full, thanks :-).

uxbod is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by cheros View Post
    Wouldn't that cause outgoing emails to other users of that domain to be considered local (and thus fail delivery?).
    you could manipulate the Postfix transport table to send emails for that domain onwards though. I have not tried this myself but in principle I believe you could get it to work.

I think we're veering deeply into customisation that is unmaintainable - it means I'm having to hack a whole system because of some end users' need.

All I need is an option in the "persona" where an end user can be permitted to set his "from" address to whatever he/she/it likes. This is a standard facility on any mail client so I'm a bit puzzled by the Zimbra approach appears to enforce existing system domains - or I'm missing something blatantly obvious :-).

mmorse is offline Moderator

Admin console gui > COS > Preferences tab> Allow sending email from any address:

zmprov mc COSname zimbraAllowAnyFromAddress TRUE

Then in the accounts/persona you can type in the field:

Obviously not everyone wants to set AllowFromAny wide open- so vote for Bug 12094 – Identities: Auto verify user settable from address > Bug 29974 – persona/external account from field address verification

Admin console gui > Account > Preferences tab> Allow sending email only from these:

zmprov ma user@domain.com +zimbraAllowFromAddress other@external.com

Aliases (can be used for inbound delivery) are automatically included in the list of addresses a user can send as.

Then in accounts/persona settings you're restricted to actual, aliases, & specified:
    Last edited by mmorse; 03-06-2009 at 11:43 AM.

Ah - so if I read this correctly, the reason this didn't work before was because the COS needs to have it enabled first before it works at user level.

All works now. Next challenges:

- automating the "external account" email pickup so users don't have to press a button (the machine should run a fetchmail automatically every so often)
    - finding a way to make Zimbra and vTiger (.org, a more open fork off SugarCRM) work with eachother re group calendaring without putting EXchange in the middle of it
    - getting on-air sync going for all mobile devices (i.e. SyncML or similar).
    - finding out who could host this for us. We have a local Zimbra provider, but we have quite specific needs re. logon and data security (plus adding vTiger to the mix is not going to help, I think we may have to brew this at home and disaster proof it with offsite mirroring or similar)
    - see which version is best suited for our needs. Open Source is good for experiments and getting a feeling for "fit" but we need support as I expect my userbase to grow from 10 or so to over a hundred. If any more "advanced" version has the vTiger integration sorted I don't think anyone will put up a budget fight :-).

Cheers - your help was very welcome and has given product confidence.
    Release: 5.0.18 Commercially hosted

Thread Information