Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mac OS X Installation and Quick Start of Zimbra

zimbra_osx is offline New Member

Default Mac OS X Installation and Quick Start of Zimbra

Any one can post a quick guide on Zimbra Installation and Quick Start on Mac OS X? A step by step guide on installing, configuring and starting the interface would be helpful.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Surely the information you needed was given in this post Did you search the forums? What have you tried to resolve the problem?

A step by step guide to what you did to install Zimbra, what problems you encountered and what steps you've taken to resolve the problem would help a lot.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

marcmac is offline Expert Member

Searching is good. Or there's the installation guide. I think there's a quick-start guide out there, too.

swankymode is offline Starter Member

Thumbs down open source and world dominance

So, it's never made any sense to my why OS software isn't dominant in the world. Why .Net programmers command on $120/hr on average while you can pick up a good PHP programmer for $50/hr.

This thread illuminates it so clearly.

Someone asked for help and they are accosted and then sent to a thread where another person was accosted.

If you're just going to be a curmudgeon, don't bother posting. I know you think you are really cool because you know a lot about the software, but you're just serving to dissuade people from using OS software.

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Dear SwankeyMode,

Everyone is welcome here, and no one is being accosted.

Although the forums are here for help, help is a two way streak. The person seeking advice or help should do just that...seek.

What better way to seek, than to search?

For being an open source project, MarcMac, KevinH, Bobby, and Phoenix provide exemplary support.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a flaming post. I'm just saying that you gotta give these guys a break.

Phoenix and I see the hours that the Zimbra team puts in these forums.
    They don't need to repeatedly answer the same questions over and over.

If you want to see what I mean, just search for LDAP.

No flame or scolding intended. Just search, read, and contribute.

I hope I havenít offended you, and I hope you enjoy the forums.

KevinH is offline Expert Member

If the same question is asked so many times and it makes it silly to keep answering it over and over. We have no issue answering the question 1, 2, or even 3 times as maybe there is something we can learn. Once it's clear there is a pattern and people are generally too lazy to even search a little you have to draw the line. We have no problem helping folks who come here and say hey 'I searched for X and found Y which doesn't answer X can you help me'. That's tell us the person has a clue and at least tried to help them self.

There are Google searches that will get you the answer:

http://www.google.com/search?q=zimbra+documentation

http://www.google.com/search?q=zimbr...t+installation

All of these lead you right to the docs with this link to a document called 'Quick Start Guide':

http://www.zimbra.com/pdf/Zimbra%20C...ck%20Start.pdf
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by swankymode
    So, it's never made any sense to my why OS software isn't dominant in the world. Why .Net programmers command on $120/hr on average while you can pick up a good PHP programmer for $50/hr.
    Well, I'm sure there are a myriad reasons why OSS isn't dominant and could spend many hours discussing that.

This thread illuminates it so clearly.

Someone asked for help and they are accosted and then sent to a thread where another person was accosted.
    I don't really understand what you mean by 'accosted'. Actually it wasn't 'another person', the same poster had asked several days earlier about the problem and been given a possible answer. I do expect people to, at least, look for possible answers and tell the forum what they've tried to resolve the problem. I think they should also provide some info so that forum members can help them diagnose the problem. Even a light reading of the documentation by the o/p would have helped.

If you're just going to be a curmudgeon,
    I hardly think my resonse was ill tempered. I don't think you'll find any of my posts fitting that bill (no pun intended).

don't bother posting.
    OK.

I know you think you are really cool because you know a lot about the software
    How do you know what I think? I don't rememeber having any conversations with you about my thoughts. Where did I actually say, or imply, I know a lot about software? Actualy, if you'd bothered to read any of my other posts, I have stated how little I know about Linux and what's 'under the hood' of Zimbra. Every time I visit these forums I learn something.

If the o/p was offended by my response then so be it, that was not and never is my intention. I help here because I think the Zimbra is a fantastic product and worth promoting and I'll do whatever I can to help.

There's nothing wrong with pointing people to an answer that's already been given or asking some pertinent questions about what they've done to resolve the problem, it helps in the 'diagnostic' process of helping them fix the problem. Doesn't it?

but you're just serving to dissuade people from using OS software.
    I don't agree with that statement at all. That's an easy cop-out, it's always someone elses fault.

Anyway, enough waffle from me. As wannabetenor has said, welcome to the forums. Afetr your comments we'll have high hopes for your contributions here.

How are you getting on with Zimbra or was the post just to scold everyone?
    Last edited by phoenix; 04-19-2006 at 11:52 PM.
    Regards

Bill

swankymode is offline Starter Member

Red face My Bad

Sorry about that, I didn't see that the same guy posted both threads.

Perhaps I was in a bad mood and read to deeply into the replies. Anyway, accept my apologies, the "thinking you're cool" comment was a personal attack, rude and not relevant to the reply and for that I'm sorry.

I'll concede that people do post some stupid questions and/or don't make an effort to find the answer before posting, but I'd also like to throw out that maybe, just maybe people are a bit too quick to scold.

My real issue was that I looked at the question, and the reply sent off to an answer that wasn't immediately relevant (now that I see the pattern, I understand better).

Anyway, I'll shut up for now - I've done my damage for the day!

Thanks for the apology, it's really appreciated.

It's not that the questions are 'stupid', I don't actually believe there's any such thing as a stupid question but rather that my aim is to prod an answer from people. Perhaps if I'm having a bad day it's too brusque or I'm frustrated at not having all the info to help but as I said before, it's not meant to be offensive.

Just back to your original point. As a newcomer to linux I spent months just trawling newsgroups and forums and I have seen some appalling treatment of new users, I think that's deplorable and I would hate to think that my behaviour came across as some linux zealot so I'll try not to sound too pompous in future. [/rant]

Anyway, welcome to the forums.
    Regards

Bill

bhickey is offline Advanced Member

Default Mac OS X Installation and Quick Start of Zimbra

Not that I really `have a dog in this fight` as we say in the South, BUT...I must say that the support provided by the employess of Zimbra for the non-commercial product (i.e., one that they're not being paid for) is more than what any other company provides.

Now, I understand not wanting to be told to `go search` when I have what feels like a pressing issue to me, but let's face it -- how many times can they answer the same questions?

I believe if anyone will earnestly search the forums they'll find quite a few answers to ancillary issues not even directly related to the Zimbra product. Yet more free tech support.

Having said all that, I can sympathize with the person that gets in over their head and struggles to interpret a string of posts. Some of us are coming from exclusively Microsoft shops, and have little experience with *NIX operating systems. So we do have a steeper learning curve. I even question whether Zimbra is right for me because of my lack of *NIX experience, not because of ZCS itself. I get frustrated when I do an install and permissons on a log file are wrong. How does that happen? I don't know, which only illustrates my point.

Personally, I attempt to search the forums before posting. I post when I cannot find exactly what I'm looking for (though sometimes I just miss it) or when I can't follow the thread to a successful resolution.

So, Zimbra provides the best FREE tech support anywhere. In addition, there a quite of few regulars to the forum who are not Zimbra employees. I'm grateful for their contributions as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information