Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 8.04 Server & Zimbra 5.05 NE = Good?

quietas is offline Elite Member

Default Ubuntu 8.04 Server & Zimbra 5.05 NE = Good?

Accidental discovery found.

I was attempting an install on Ubuntu 8.04 as 6.06 Grub will not install correctly on the system I am testing with. I had planned to try using the install method for 7.10 (link here) and instead I left the room and forgot that I had not done it yet. When I came back I installed 5.05 NE on a clean 8.04 with the DNS changes made (link here).

While it installs and everything seems to load, what might I run into that will be broken?

Maybe not so good. I'm having a hell of a time getting the web pages to load. Both Firefox and IE7 hang on the Admin page as well as the normal user login.

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

you will do. you're trying to run on a completely unsupported OS. what's the point of running NE on an unsupported OS? it makes zimbra itself unsupported. use a supported OS, there's plenty of choice.

That's just the problem. At the moment I am setting up a test system on a spare box. Both of my spares are not Linux friendly, BIOS issues on one won't allow Grub or Lilo to install correctly. The other needs a more recent version such as Ubuntu 7.10. Before you ask, no my execs will not shell out for a Enterprise version until it is tested and they approve.

John Munro is offline Senior Member

We have almost the same problem.

Ubuntu is the only Linux distrib supported here due to training issues. Ubuntu Server 6.06 LTS works fine on our test server and is running 5.0.5 FOSS with 9 test users migrated from our legacy mail system.

All has gone well so we have purchased NE and an IBM System x3650 rack server as a production machine to host on.

However Ubuntu Server 6.06 LTS will not install on this machine as it does not recognise the ethernet, raid, and probably more onboard chips.

Ubuntu Server 8.04 LTS works out of the box on this new machine but naturally 5.0.5 NE will not install.

In the entry Bug 23154 - Ubuntu 8.04 - Hardy Heron Brian Peterson stated that "Please see pm.zimbra.com for platform release schedules. Its should be updated shortly to reflect 8.04 release targets." but there is no section refering to platform support and the only relevant information only refers back to the same bugzilla item.

We are under pressure to inform others of the time plan, but are currently stalled with no information and no way to test the new production machine.

We know 8.04 support is being worked on but is it worth opening a case just to find out the status? We are willing to go with a beta build of 8.04 support for the purpose of hardware testing before setting up the final production system.

Is opening a case worth it?

While I have absolutely no inside knowledge of Zimbra, I would speculate this situation is due to prioritisation of resources. There are a finite number of platforms that can be supported for NE and traditionally Ubuntu is used very little in enterprises - it's not really considered an 'Enterprise OS' per se. Sounds from Zimbra's comments like it's been targeted to be targeted, just hasn't been decided what release for, I guess. I would also guess it would go Beta in FOSS first, then NE when things are ironed out.

Have you tried my community builds? Of course it won't have the extra NE goodies but the core code is the same between FOSS and NE.

webman is offline Special Member

@John: On the new server, are you trying regular 6.06 or 6.06.2? I had problems with 6.06 on our new Dell PowerEdges but 6.06.2 worked perfectly.

@dijichi

I am running your build now, thanks for the work you've done on building this.

Thing is that I need to test our proposed setup and how well it works with the NE goodness - i.e. mobile sync, backups, etc.

@webman

Good point. Just looked at the CD and it is 6.06.1 LTS. Downloading 6.06.2 now...

Downloaded...

Burned...

And it works! 6.06 is now installing. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Last edited by John Munro; 05-09-2008 at 01:16 AM.

good news that 6.06.2 works for your hardware!

How is the community build working for you? I didn't get a chance to even run it up before I left on business so no idea if it works or not!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information