Thread: Ubuntu 6.06LTS init script isn't starting Zimbra completely

CarputerTech is offline Member

Exclamation Ubuntu 6.06LTS init script isn't starting Zimbra completely

Hello. I've been researching this quite a bit on the forums. I see some similar threads, but none of the solutions worked for me.

I have Zimbra 5.0.4 running on Ubuntu 6.06LTS Desktop, which is running inside a virtual server application. Zimbra works in this configuration (with the exception of the anti-virus/anti-spam deferring all mail when enabled, but thats a separate problem), but I am having trouble with the boot script. When Ubuntu boots, Zimbra starts ldap and logger. I can su root, su zimbra, then zmcontrol status and see the two running. The rest of the services are not running. However, if I zmcontrol stop and zmcontrol start, everything works fine.

If, while logged in as zimbra, I run /etc/init.d/zimbra status, it replies with "Password: ". My root password won't work, the account I logged in doesn't work, nor does the password "zimbra". The same happens for the /etc/init.d/zimbra start and /etc/init.d/zimbra stop commands. When I enter the wrong password, it says
    Code:
    zimbra@zimbra:/$ /etc/init.d/zimbra status
    Password:
    su: Authentication failure 
    Sorry.
    zimbra@zimbra:/$
    I think it's a permissions problem. It seems like this init script cannot be run entirely with it's current permissions, which is why only certain services start. I am not really familiar with Ubuntu and I have been unable to figure it out yet. It was doing this for a while, so I decided to uninstall and try again. I ran ./install.sh -u, deleted the /opt/zimbra directory, and reinstalled. It's still not booting automatically though. As of right now, I've just completed a fresh install of Zimbra. Any idea on how I can proceed?

Thanks!

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

hi

the init script is meant to be run as root. it essentially switches to zimbra user and runs zmcontrol, so if you're already zimbra user, do:

zmcontrol status

I realize that zmcontrol status will work when logged in as zimbra, but I need the init to work fully at boot.

Are the init's always run by root?

uxbod is offline Moderator

what does
    Code:
    find /etc/rc* -name zimbra
    produce ? just want to ensure that the RC files are actually in place. If you run /etc/init.d/zimbra as root does it start everything up okay ?

It doesn't produce anything at all. Yes, /etc/init.d/zimbra does work fine as root when run manually.

How can I get this into the RC list?

I should add that I notice now when I run /etc/init.d/zimbra as root (or with su root in front of it) it doesn't show any information. It DOES work though. For example, if user zimbra is logged in and runs su root /etc/init.d/zimbra status, it looks like it is going to show something, and it takes a while, but then goes to the next command line as shown below:

Code:
    zimbra@zimbra:/$ su root /etc/init.d/zimbra status
    Password:
    zimbra@zimbra:/$
    If I run start or stop they will either start or stop zimbra, but they don't itemize each service like zmcontrol does.

I've realized that Zimbra is actually starting properly. It's just taking a very long time (about 8 minutes from power on) before the web interface is running... Is this normal? It's running with 440MB of ram and Dual PIII 1GHz processors for testing.

mmorse is offline Moderator

Welcome to the forums,
    Quote Originally Posted by CarputerTech View Post
    It's running with 440MB of ram
    Testing/Devel/Demo Environments:
    For a 5.0.x box 512MB should be considered the hard minimum - it just isn't prudent to go any smaller.
    For all intensive purposes 1GB is the basic recommended minimum as outlined in our system requirements doc.
    Believe it or not, by increasing that to 1.5GB many have noticed a difference.

Production Environments:
    Minimum - 2GB RAM
    Recommend - 4GB

While by removing some services you might be able to run with 440MB - as this person did for 256MB with 4.5.x: Making Zimbra run on minimal RAM - Zimbra :: Wiki I would suggest you upgrade/allot the VM a bit more memory

Here's another discussion: System Requirements - Small Systems
    Last edited by mmorse; 04-09-2008 at 05:32 PM. Reason: link to system requirements doc

Hi Mike!

Thanks for the great information! I will definitely do so.

SamTzu is offline Loyal Member

SamTzu
    -----------------------------------------------
    "I keep hitting the esc key, why am I still here?"

Thread Information