Thread: Change DNS Settings in Admin Console

snixon is offline Member

Default Change DNS Settings in Admin Console

Hi all:
    I am new to Linux and Zimbra, so bare with me on this
    I have Zimbra 5.0.4 on SUSE 10.3 in a test lab on VMWare Server. I also have a Windows 2003 server (Domain Controller) and 2 XP Pro clients with Office 2003 SP3.
    I am using BIND for the DNS server (it was in the How to Setup guides).

How do I switch from BIND to the Microsoft DNS?

Is there some guide out there about integrating BIND with Active Directory DNS?

Or is there a Guide on how to configure Active Directory DNS for Zimbra?

I am having a problem with the Outlook connector and this may be part of the problem. I want to clean up DNS first.

Stance

Sevenwillfly is offline Junior Member

First off think of bind as allowing domain members to send mail to each other first.
    Then and only then if the user is in another domain query the outside DNS (in your case win3k ip addresses would be used) for outside ip-addresses.

Check this excellent how to for Linux in this case the distro is Ubuntu but bind is bind:
    Ubuntu 6.06 Server (Dapper Drake) Beginner's Install Guide - Zimbra :: Wiki

This should get you where you want to go.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

uxbod is offline Moderator

How do I switch from BIND to the Microsoft DNS?
    If you have setup your Active Directory (which is a combination of BIND8 DNS & LDAP), and it includes the necessary MX record for Zimbra then the only file that would need to change on your Zimbra server would be /etc/resolv.conf. This file tells the OS where to perform its name resolution. By default the order would be to look at /etc/hosts, and then check resolv.conf. This can be overridden though by a file called /etc/nsswitch.conf. You could query dns first and then the hosts file, but this is not really necessary.

Is there some guide out there about integrating BIND with Active Directory DNS?
    If you were looking to integrate the two then it may be for the reason that you have either 1) allocated a domain to BIND but you wish to hold a secondary copy within AD 2) All domains are held within AD but you wish to have a secondary in BIND 3) lots more different scenarios available.

Or is there a Guide on how to configure Active Directory DNS for Zimbra?
    This very much depends on what you wish to achieve. Is it purely for DNS or do you wish to actually authenticate your users against AD?

I am having a problem with the Outlook connector and this may be part of the problem.
    This question would be better asked in the Zimbra Outlook Connector forum.

Also, http://www.zimbra.com/forums/announc...r-profile.html please

Bill Brock is offline Outstanding Member

Since you are using SuSE (my favorite distro), I would suggest using Yast to perform any setup configurations like changing your DNS resolvers. Uxbod's way will work (manually changing the .conf file) but you will find some things that SUSE does a little diferrently than other distros. Plus Yast is absolutely the best Linux config utility of all distros (my opinion anyway).

I use MS DNS server for AD domains and BIND for non AD domains. AD domains have a bunch of DNS records you won't find in any other type of Domain. I manage DNS for 14 domains, 3 are AD and the rest are not.

As long as your MX and A records are setup properly, Zimbra can use either a BIND DNS server or a MS DNS server as its resolver. But I would recommend MS's DNS for the AD domain resolutions.

Thread Information