Thread: SuSE 10.3

Bill Brock is offline Outstanding Member

Default SuSE 10.3

I was broken hearted to see 5.0.3 but no native support for SuSE 10.3.

mmorse is offline Moderator

It probably won't be to complex too do, but the only vote for it so far is yours: Bug 25345 - 5.0.x FOSS build supporting Open SuSE 10.3 -gather some more support

bigmudcake is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brock View Post
    I was broken hearted to see 5.0.3 but no native support for SuSE 10.3.
    Check out my new openSUSE 10.3 install guide which should help.

I can understand why Zimbra does not support alot of the opensource Distros as they only have limited resources and its better they stick those resources to the enterprise versions of the distros such as RHES over Fedora, or SUSE over openSUSE.

Many distros now use a structure where their opensource version becomes the basis of the enterprise version (features built in openSUSE make their way into the SUSE version, same for Fedora features into RHES).

Another thing to consider is that the opensource Linux distros change quite frequently (e.g. a new version of openSUSE is released yearly and openSUSE 11 is not that far away from release) where as the enterprise versions have a much longer life making it far better to support Zimbra on.

I think its us as an opensource Zimbra community that should support and test Zimbra on the opensource Linux distros, and not wait for Zimbra to necessarily "support" it.

If support and time is critical to your setup then always choose an enterprise version of Linux combined with the corresponding NE version of Zimbra and you cant go wrong.

Otherwise if you have an unsupported Linux distro then be prepared to join the forums, test, document and share what you discovered that would help others, and eventually Zimbra to run the software smoothly on your Linux distro of choice.

I for one, am committed to running Zimbra on openSUSE and therefore will help out where I can This is what opensource is all about.

Cheers
    bigmudcake

I agree. I think the Zimbra team does a great job. And I probably can succeed using the reading that is out there for 10.3. I was just hoping.

My 10.2 installations are working just fine but was planning on building a new server that probably will require 10.3 to cover AMD's latest chipset.

When the time comes, if there is still not native support for 10.3 I'm sure I won't let that stop me.

Well now for the fun stuff - I'm going to upgrade my 5.0.2 tomorrow to the newest and bestest 5.0.3. Looking forward to it.

BTW, TGIF

One more thing - come on everyone and vote for SuSE 10.3!!!!

If you follow my guide in this thread, can you let me know if you have any issues, check to see if your server status is working correctly.

I agree. I think the Zimbra team does a great job. And I probably can succeed using the reading that is out there for 10.3. I was just hoping.

My 10.2 installations are working just fine but was planning on building a new server that probably will require 10.3 to cover AMD's latest chipset.

When the time comes, if there is still not native support for 10.3 I'm sure I won't let that stop me.

Well now for the fun stuff - I'm going to upgrade my 5.0.2 tomorrow to the newest and bestest 5.0.3. Looking forward to it.

BTW, TGIF

Smile

Its probably better to vote for openSUSE 11 as that will probably form the basis of the next enterprise version SUSE 11 .

One more thing - come on everyone and vote for SuSE 10.3!!!!

Thread Information