Thread: change domain/server name

jpbuse is offline Loyal Member

Cool [SOLVED] change domain/server name

We're getting really close to deploying Zimbra FOSS here, I'm excited!

Right now I am running ZCS on a specific host (zcs.mydomain.com). I have an alias setup on our current email server which redirects mail for me@mydomain.com to me@zcs.mydomain.com. All good. My reply to address is me@mydomain.com, but in the recipient's email it does show from: me@zcs.mydomain.com. How can I change it so its just @mydomain.com? Keep in mind I can't just change the host name because then sent mail will resolve to the zcs server and not the current email server. Make sense?

Thx
    Last edited by jpbuse; 03-19-2008 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Figured it out!

uxbod is offline Moderator

Within the Admin UI have you added a domain alias to the server zcs.mydomain.com ? If so you should then be able to set within your email Preferences->Accounts to send from user@domain.com.

Is an alias the same as setting a virtual host under Domains > zcs.mydomain.com > Virtual Host ? I don't know where in the GUI to set an alias. I do this cli command:

Code:
    zmprov cd example.com zimbraDomainType alias zimbraMailCatchAllAddress @example.com zimbraMailCatchAllForwardingAddress @domain.com
    ManagingDomains - Zimbra :: Wiki

Yep that is correct. So when you created the user was it in the zcs.domain.com or domain.com ? If the first then go into your web client and under Preferences->Accounts->Primary Account-Settings in the dropdown boxes for From and ReplyTo are you able to select user@domain.com ?

Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    Yep that is correct. So when you created the user was it in the zcs.domain.com or domain.com ? If the first then go into your web client and under Preferences->Accounts->Primary Account-Settings in the dropdown boxes for From and ReplyTo are you able to select user@domain.com ?
    When I created the user it was part of zcs.mydomain.com by default. I added a virtual host (just now) but it does not show under my user prefs. Wonder if I need to restart the mailbox? (It says I need to restart upon deletion of a virtual host).

I created the virtual host of mydomain.com, restarted zcs and mydomain.com still does not show as an option for my in my user prefs.

From the Admin GUI if you create a alias on the email account user@zcs.domain.com and user@domain.com does it then show up in the user preferences ? I am on a similar setup myself, but when I created the account it was straight after I added the virtual domain, therefore could create the account as user@domain.com.

I can only create aliases that end in @ zcs.mydomain.com and not @mydomain.com. I tried creating a new user now that the virtual host is setup but still I only have the option of @zcs.mydomain.com.

Just so I am 100% clear, all I did was add a virtual host. I don't see anywhere in the GUI for a virtual domain. Perhaps on your setup you ran the zmprov cli command above at some point which basically enabled the virtual domain for you?
    Last edited by jpbuse; 03-18-2008 at 09:08 AM.

I think this did the trick. Testing now...

Code:
    zmprov md zcs.mydomain.com zimbraMailCatchAllAddress @zcs.mydomain.com zimbraMailCatchAllCanonicalAddress @mydomain.com
    Yup, this works perfectly. In the GUI it still shows as @zcs.mydomain.com, however when I send emails out they are from @mydomain.com. Once we migrate our current email system over to Zimbra then I can run a quick command to change the domain to @mydomain.com. If I do that now then I won't be routing emails correctly to users on our current (non ZCS) email server.
    Last edited by jpbuse; 03-19-2008 at 07:00 AM.

Thread Information