Thread: [SOLVED] Multiple domains-single server? Howto? Suggestions!

carpicker is offline Member

Default [SOLVED] Multiple domains-single server? Howto? Suggestions!

Wow so much to learn...

I'm facing a problem with mail that goes out but can't come in. When I started with 4.5.9 the solution was to use a separate MTA to convert the internal domain names to the external domain names. I'm not so comfortable with scripts and time is not abundant to load postfix with a bunch of manual entries, as I don't have well lexed personnel to work with me at command line level.

Anyway, I'm running 5.0.2 GA on SuSE 10.2, one server as I have less than 50 users. Config was a snap, except that the MTA set up is too simple to make it work. I run 2 internal DNS servers for local resolution, and cache for internet. I have defined the ZCS on the internal DNS as mail2.mydomain.int (since it is my internal domain anyway) with both A and MX records. I also have defined A and MX records for the public domain.com on our ISP DNS servers. The external MX record points to the firewall IP and it port forwards to the ZCS server IP all port 25 traffic.

When I send msg to my yahoo acct, I get it fine, when I reply, I get message that mydomain.com mail relay has denied access to deliver message. I can access the ZCS when I telnet to both mx.mydomain.com or the IP with port 25. HELO responds fine. However, I don't want to open my MTA to unscrupulous use, but I can't make it let any msg sent to mydomain.com work.

Docs mention that it is a good idea to set up a relay MTA between the ZCS server(s) and the Internet. As I said, working with postfix may be easy for me if I had time, but I'd rather show my backups (people) how to make changes via a GUI as they are not Unix/Linux anything. I tried to just install the Zimbra MTA but I get no Mgmt. CLI only??

Now, here is the big wrench to the problem. I run several companies and use the same people for different things (blame the state's laws for this) but I need to be able to differentiate between each domain's inbound message, and when a user replies to it, I need to maintain the domain that it was received from. Since I run an internal domain, all messages will route to the same mailbox. i.e. I may receive a message TO:carpicker@domain.com or carpicker@domain.biz but when I reply it needs to go back as if I was responding from only one domain. My users can't seem to comprehend the multiple ID/mailbox, so I have to put the brains on the server.

This is my current approach, but unable to receive msg gives me no proof that it works. Define user1@domain.com, user1a@domain.biz, share mailbox from user1a with user1 and use the 'On behalf of' feature to send mail as if user1a.

Any suggestions?? BTW, multiple servers are not an issue as I have them all inside VMware hosts and have resources left for up to 4 servers, but like to 'KISS' as I'm the whole IT Dept, and the big boss too, so IT is only 40% of my time.

Thanks
    carpicker

Unhappy Found some wiki docs

I'm going to try the Split DNS as it refers to some of the issues I described on the inability to receive behind NAT using DNS records. I can see where the hand off will fail even though the DNS server responds with the correct address.

I also found a wiki on ZimbraMtaMyNetworks that has me a little confused. When I set up the MTA, I specified my local network after the default 127.0.0.0/8 192.168.0.0./24. I Don't want any external host to relay through my server, but I do want to receive from any host to my users. Is there something I'm missing on my 18th our on this?

I'm going to zzz, but I will be back in the am.

Thanks.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Welcome to the forums.

As you've already spotted, the Split DNS should solve your problems. Try that and let us know if your have any problems or questions.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

PeterH is offline Senior Member

I don't know if I understand correctly but:

You have multiple domains on one server and all users in all of them.
    Mails have to be replied to from same domain as it was sent to.
    If that's correct you can set up rules per user to have them automatically reply with correct alias to received mail. It's a little work but you don't have that many users so it could work well?
    If this goes only for the shared accounts it should work as well?
    I use this where users need to answer as 'their' alias on receiving mail sent to the alias.
    Maybe this helps..

On the relay stuff: you just need the frontend MTA to allow relaying by and to all of the domains you defined on your zimbra-box. That WILL have to be configured on your front-end+you need correct external dns-settings to receive mail on your front end for your zimbrabox. Makes sense?

Good luck!
    Peter
    Using ZCS Network-edition 5.0.16 on Ubuntu 6.06.2 LTS and 8.04 LTS

Bill, thanks for the welcome. I'm glad to join.
    As I read the SplitDNS wiki there is a statement there to not do a SplitDNS if more than one Zimbra server will be used. What I can deduce from that statement is that the better recomendation is to use an Internal DNS for the LAN, that way when multiple Zimbras are running, the messages can be routed to the propper server.
    That being the case, I trully don't need to use the SplitDNS config as I do have LAN DNS server (2 for redundancy) and I configured both A and MX records for my server's internal host name (mail2.mydomain.int).
    However I did do the SplitDNS setup to find that the problem still persists.

So here is my next question: Since the host name for the machine running Zimbra is mail2.mydomain.int, could the issue be that when a mail host tries to connect to it by addressing to the destination_user@mydomain.com it fails to authenticate since the actual user is destination_user@mail2.mydomain.int? Should I name the domain (or the host for that matter) the actual host name as described on the Public DNS (mail@mydomain.com)? It seems that the MTA wants to approve relay to defined users in the LDAP records of the MTA-LDAP, which will make sense as the external user is only an alias and not a real user. Do you think that a virtual domain could help the issue of MTA Relay_access_denied?
    I'd hate to put the server on a DMZ or even on the public side. That defeats the purpose of security, but then the question of an external MTA does come to mind!
    Your thoughts are welcome.
    Felipe a.k.a.carpicker;-)

Peter, thanks for the reasurance. I did read the docs for 5.0 and there was mention of the rules. Since there are such small set of users, I will try with a sample of them and if it works as they want it, I will then roll with it. It doesn't seem that difficult. If I could just get the server to cooperate at receiving messages for the users from the internet.

Thanks again.

Felipe a.k.a. Carpicker ;-)

Thread Information