Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems upgrading 4.5.8 to 5.0.2

encode is offline Junior Member

Angry Problems upgrading 4.5.8 to 5.0.2

Hi,

I've been running the 4.5.8 edition on ubuntu 6.06 for a while, and I thought it was time to upgrade to 5.0.2. So after taking a copy of the /opt/zimbra folder, I ran the install script from 5.0.2.

I chose to do an upgrade, and the script seemed to go fine until initializing documents, where it seemed to hang. Meanwhile, according to zimbra.log, everything else was going fine. Mail was being received. But there are several problems.

I can't connect via imap, or the web interface, telnet'ing to localhost 7025 doesn't produce the mail header (although it connects) and there are entries like this in zimbra.log:

Code:
    Mar 10 12:42:39 mail postfix/lmtp[6132]: 5C855DD9F0: to=, relay=mail.domain.tld[a.b.c.d]:7025, delay=5212, delays=4911/0.51/300/0, dsn=4.4.2, status=deferred (conversation with mail.domain.tld[a.b.c.d] timed out while receiving the initial server greeting)
    (I've removed hostnames and ip addresses).

What can I do to troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

Another thing that I've noticed, any zmprov commands hang without completing.

dwmtractor is offline Moderator

Shooting in the dark here, but this looks a bit like some other people's problems. . .here is a simple test: If you go to a computer that has NEVER logged into the old server (pre-upgrade) and try to log in from there, do you get through?

If you do, the problem could be that your new install generated new SSL certificates, which your existing clients don't like because they have the previous (different) certs cached. Clear out those cert. caches and you should be able to re-import the new certs and find success.

Cheers,

Dan

Nope - I tried using a different computer.

I also tried following the instructions on here somewhere to regenerate the SSL certificates. I got as far as the first zmprov command, which promptly hung.

When you're running as the Zimbra user (su - zimbra), what do you get if you do zmcontrol status?

Everything shows as running. But if I do a stop or a start, it prompts me for a password for mta, and mailbox.

Of course, I don't know what the password is, having never set a password for the zimbra account.

Ahhh, I bet you're running Ubuntu, aren't you? Which means you log into your command line with a user of "admin" rather than "root." In order to get to work as your Zimbra user, you have to become "root" first. The easiest way to do that in Ubuntu is to type "sudo bash" at the command prompt. It'll ask you for a password; this will be your administrator password set when you installed ubuntu. Then "su - zimbra" will allow you to get in as the Zimbra user without entering a password.

Umm, no - maybe I wasn't clear in my previous post.

I'm logged in as root (yes I'm running Ubuntu, but I've created a root user), and I have no problems running su - zimbra. That part works fine.

The problem comes when I run zmcontrol stop or start - in the middle of printing out the list of services it is stopping/starting, it prompts for a password.

That sounds like a permissions issue. You might try
    Code:
    /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmfixperms

Dirk is offline Moderator

I've seen similar issues before, having the MTA prompt for a password can be due to the active version of postfix not agreeing with the postfix path in the sudoers file. Check the postfix symlink in /opt/zimbra and make sure it agree's.

You say zmprov hangs, try running zmprov -l and see if you get a prov> prompt ('quit' to get out)

If it works with the -l switch then your ldap seems to be ok, but the soap interface is not operational.

Restore to your backup (if you have not already) and stage the upgrade in smaller increments, see if that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information