Thread: [SOLVED] Installing Zimbra on Xandros (Debian Etch) Server

juanfermin is offline Member

Default [SOLVED] Installing Zimbra on Xandros (Debian Etch) Server

First of all, Yes, I know, Zimbra isn't supported on Xandros but, that said, it is built on the same version as Ubuntu, so I figured I'd try installing Zimbra on Xandros, just for kicks and giggles.
    I had configured my Xandros server to Authenticate off a Windows Domain, originally I had it in ADS mode, but had issues with group propagation, so switched it to Windows Domain Mode and edited the smb.conf file to set Enumerate users and groups to yes from no. The reason I point that out, is because after the install of Zimbra, I can no longer access the Samba Shares (Zimbra works perfectly though). In addition, I can no longer run the Xandros xMS Management Suite. I'm wondering do you guys thing this is because I left the LDAP server on the default port? TomCat issues, or something else. Any ideas?

For those of you that are wondering, the reason I didn't just enable Scalix on my Xandros Server is because Scalix doesn't support Multiple external Mailboxes, which is a big deal to me.
    Last edited by juanfermin; 03-05-2008 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Solved

I figured out it was the LDAP server, I had run lsof -i:389 before installing, but it was as a regular user and I should have run that command as a su! I'm going to try reinstalling with the ldap port changed to 7389, the only thing that concerns me is that I see users had issues with version 4, when ldap was listening on port 7389, but had ip tables mapped to it. Any suggestions?

I went into Xandros Community Management and shut down all the services that were running, I then used grep to discover and kill lingering ldap services being used by the system as well. I installed using port 8080 for the http server and port 7389 for the LDAP, at first everything seemed to work perfectly, I even restarted the xMS managment service and everything seemed fine. I rebooted the system and it's running S... L.... O... W... Haven't been able to log in and it looks like the Samba server is down again. Any ideas???

OK, I figured it out, pretty much remove all services from xMC except for SSH, Cert Manager, Firewall and Print Server, (Though Disable all). In addition, went to Xandros Networks Installer and found Postgre 8 and removed the server. Kept everything else, just in case I can figure out a way to bring it back, since xMC won't work without the Postgre Server. Oh well, I have what I want, now on to integrating Samba Authentication into Zimbra, I'll let you guys know how that goes.

Thread Information