Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Binaries for Ubuntu 8.04 LTS AMD64?

hjbleier is offline New Member

Default Binaries for Ubuntu 8.04 LTS AMD64?

Will there be Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (Hardy Heron) binaries for the AMD64 finally? When it ships? I am sick of running the x86 edition of Ubuntu 6.06.2 when I could be using the 64bit version. Please release it, I tried Ubuntu 6.06.2 AMD64 and it had some issues with zcs-5.0.2_GA_1975.UBUNTU6. Did not run to stable and I need something that I can setup quick (too much modifications to get it to run on AMD64 edition).

mmorse is offline Moderator

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

We have to get 8.04 first. We won't release it the day of. We have to QA the GA version.

gilly05 is offline Intermediate Member

Default Zimbra and Ubuntu 8.04

Any idea of when the version for 8.04 (franklin???) will be released? I am really wanting upgrade my Ubuntu servers and move to Zimbra from Exchange. This would allow me to do it without having to first go to the older 6.06 and then waste time migrating to the 8.04 and Zimbra's franklin.

I kept reading in the Ubuntu press releases that 8.04 would have Zimbra support. What exactly does that mean? Will Zimbra be a package in Ubuntu's apt repos (apt-get install zimbra would be awesome!).

Anyhow, any word on 8.04 support would be great!

dwmtractor is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by gilly05 View Post
    I kept reading in the Ubuntu press releases that 8.04 would have Zimbra support. What exactly does that mean? Will Zimbra be a package in Ubuntu's apt repos (apt-get install zimbra would be awesome!).
    I'm pretty sure it DOESN'T mean that. There is just too much to do to get a good Zimbra install--DNS configuration and domain/hostname choice, among others, to make it a generic turnkey install. It would certainly be possible to create a special install package with wizards to set up the necessary pieces (ask you for desired hostname, IPs, net configuration, etc. etc., but POSSIBLE is a long way from EASY. Creating that installer would be a project in its own right.

No, "supported" means that the Zimbra team does a full-on QA of running the server on that OS, and tweaks their own install package as necessary to play nicely with the distro. The commitment to do so for 8.04 is consistent with their policy of only supporting the LTS versions in order to have a package that will get necessary security updates, etc; but it's not going to happen overnight by any stretch.
    Cheers,

Dan

I didn't think it would be in the packages, but I am not sure that it would really be too difficult (at least any more difficult than other packages in the repos). Even MySQL can be difficult... or VMWare. Getting the base apps installed could be done, then a dpkg-config could handle the other stuff.

Nonetheless, I am not expecting it to happen. I will be more than happy to get a supported version. Based on all of the talk about Ubuntu and Zimbra, I actually would have expected a simultaneous release. I think it would have done both companies some good to get the added press. I will continue to run my test server on 6.06, but I would be interested to hear about any time frame for a supported Zimbra release. I checked the bug report for this on Zimbra's site and I think the Zimbra team has been a bit quiet lately on expected release times. I can understand that, for sure, but it is difficult for some of us IT folks who are trying to sell Zimbra to management without a firm release date (since management already knows about our migration to Ubuntu 8.04, it's difficult to tell them we want to go with Zimbra, but we have to stay with an older OS to do it).

Not sure where you read that press...

Any platform information is released directly to the community through:
    http://pm.zimbra.com/
    We will never announce through a press release or anything before it's on PMweb.

The bug for Ubuntu 8 is here: Bug 23154 - Ubuntu 8.04 - Hardy Heron

Considering the demand for it, we should be able to get it out soon, but any firm date will be posted to pmweb.

With that said, we have been incorporating fixes for Ubuntu 8 into our perforce cache, so if you want to check out the source and compile it, it may work.

Search for perforce in the wiki.

Thanks for the feedback. The article I read is located here:

Latest Server Release Expands Ubuntu Enterprise Profile | Ubuntu

It is announcing the supported software, including Zimbra, Alfresco, etc. That made me think there was some super-secret release date for Zimbra Franklin. I am sure it is incredibly difficult to get a release out, so don't take my impatience as a bad thing... I just love Zimbra and I am really looking forward to moving to 8.04 of Ubuntu, as well. It's like a kid before Christmas... impatient, but anxious.

Thanks for all the hard work. I will be impatiently and anxiously waiting for news on the release!

Keep up the great work!

HOT

The marketing guys and I just got in a fist fight. I won't tell you who won. j/k

Turns out it's a typo on their end. It should read "Zimbra Desktop"

Sorry

mmorse is offline Moderator

Bug 27299 - Offline: Zimbra desktop needs to be system-packageable
    We do know most in this thread are thinking the full ZCS included in the Ubuntu repositories - desktop alone will be a great step towards spreading Zimbra far and wide! There's a lot more involved in doing so for a full ZCS installer -we've thought about it before - just can't commit it to any plans right now with all the other cool stuff on our plate.
    Last edited by mmorse; 04-25-2008 at 02:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information