Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: installin zimbra on centos 64 bit problem

Dux T is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkaiya
    I wonder why the 32-bit CentOS is failing to install for you? You're sure it's not the installation media, blah blah? You're making me nervous, because if I can't get everything running on 64-bit CentOS, my backup plan is to use 32-bit. I'm going to spend a few days of spare time playing with Perl and see if I can get it to work, if I find out anything, I'll post it here.
    Kirkaiya,
    I have used the media succesfully both before and after the AMD box on 32 bit machines.

I'm also going to try the whole compile thing. It'd be nice if the Zimbra CPAN list were posted here, GF a script that downloads makes and installs them

I think both CentOS and Zimbra totally ROCK! I just seem to be hitting the ditches on both sides of the road at once

Wahoo!! Success! I disabled ATA-66/100 Cable Msg in BIOS, Don't know why that would be different for 32 bit than for 64 bit, but frankly Charolotte ... it's working DFWI!

Kirkaiya is offline Senior Member

Default great! And i managed to fix a few Perl mods, but..

Congrats on getting the OS installed, I know how frustrating a tough install can be (it took 2 days of playing with the xSeries before I was finally able to get the RAID drives working the way I wanted - the integrated ServeRAID BIOS-based SATA raid controller just wasn't being recognized by newest linux drivers for awile).

When trying to start antivirus (using zmantivirusctl start, from zimbra user context), I did get the errors about missing Perl modules:

Time::HiRes, Unix::Syslog and Compress::Zlib

I used CPAN's site to pull down the compressed tars (and initially the make failed, since I didn't have gcc installed - a quick "yum install gcc" fixed that). I then installed all three, but afterwards, zmantivirusctl still reports the HiRes and ZLib as missing.

I've tried adjusting the PERLLIB env var in /opt/zimbra/.bashrc file, but without much success so far. It finds the Unix::Syslog module, but I haven't figured out how to set the PERLLIB paths correctly for the others. I don't believe I fully understand the way the paths are interpreted - for a Perl module, do I need to put in the path to the Time directory, or all the way to folder containing HiRes.pm ?

*sigh* I downloaded the CentOS 32-bit ISOs today, and if I can't get the 64-bit working by Saturday, I'm putting that on the machine. Hopefully Zimbra will release binaries for RHEL x86_64 Network Edition later this year, since nearly all new low-to-midrange servers sold are 64-bit CPUs (EMT64/Athlon 64, or Itanium).

I think it would just mean bundling 64-bit compiled Perl modules for everything, actually.

robrankin is offline Intermediate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkaiya
    I've tried adjusting the PERLLIB env var in /opt/zimbra/.bashrc file, but without much success so far. It finds the Unix::Syslog module, but I haven't figured out how to set the PERLLIB paths correctly for the others. I don't believe I fully understand the way the paths are interpreted - for a Perl module, do I need to put in the path to the Time directory, or all the way to folder containing HiRes.pm ?
    Here's what I did, it's probably a bit hack-ish, but it works

Code:
    PERLLIB=`perl -e "print join(\"\:\", @INC);"`:/opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib:/opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/i386-linux-thread-multi:/opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/i486-linux-gnu-thread-multi:/opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/i586-linux-thread-multi:/opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/darwin-thread-multi-2level
    Hope it works for you!

Default Thanks! Still not finding the mods, but...

Thanks Rob -

I tried that exact line, and on trying to start zmantivirusctl, it still didn't find HiRes or Zlib... wierd.

From zimbra user context, perl -V gives:
    Code:
    %ENV:
        PERLLIB="/usr/lib64/perl5/5.8.5/x86_64-linux-thread-multi:/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5:/usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/x86_64-linux-thread-multi:/usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4/x86_64-linux-thread-multi:/usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/x86_64-linux-thread-multi:/usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.8.2/x86_64-linux-thread-multi:/usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1/x86_64-linux-thread-multi:/usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/x86_64-linux-thread-multi:/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5:/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4:/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3:/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.2:/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1:/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0:/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl:/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/x86_64-linux-thread-multi:/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4/x86_64-linux-thread-multi:/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3/x86_64-linux-thread-multi:/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2/x86_64-linux-thread-multi:/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1/x86_64-linux-thread-multi:/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/x86_64-linux-thread-multi:/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5:/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4:/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3:/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2:/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1:/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0:/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl:.:/opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib:/opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/i386-linux-thread-multi:/opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/i486-linux-gnu-thread-multi:/opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/i586-linux-thread-multi:/opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/darwin-thread-multi-2level"
    So your hack does definitely append all the perl paths to the Env var, so maybe it was something wrong with my install of those perl modules (scratching head... syslog it found, the other two.. I guess I'll try to install them again? and make sure the paths they install to included in that perllib env var....)

I really appreciate all your help, thanks again!

Kirk

Well I spoke too soon, the 32bit installation fell apart, the keyboard became erratic, several "journaling" errors and then it crashed. "Murphy" just doesn't like 32bit CentOS, I loaded 64 bit and no problems, just need to get Zimbra running and I'll be set. I started loading PERL modules, got a long way to go there though, I did the 'find' thing and did a couple of search and replaces to come up with this attached list, so far (and I'm not very far) CPAN didn't find Archive::Zip::Tree and Bundle::Net::LDAP failed to build
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default I ended up going to 32-bit CentOS

Sorry to hear about the 32-bit install falling apart!! I ended up giving up on the 64-bit install of NE; while the basic Zimbra functions all worked great, not having spamassassin, anti-virus, logger and snmp were just not acceptable.

So far, with 32-bit CentOS on the 64-bit EMT Intel cpu, it's been up and fine for 4 days, with light use by a half-dozen test users.

Wierd that you're having different Perl modules not work than I was having with my 64-bit install - I initially didn't have Syslog, Zlib, or HiRes, but used CPAN to install Syslog (which worked), and the other two (which didn't work).

We're just going to continue with 32-bit until Zimbra releases a 64-bit binary, since we're running the NE anyway.

Good luck!!!

Hope in that I'm not alone with the Athlon X2 install acting strange:
    http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=73013

OK so I was a little frustrated but I've got some breathing room to wait for the 64bit release and a little hope from the AMD board that all is not lost.
    Last edited by Dux T; 04-13-2006 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Update

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information