Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zimbra 5 and opensuse 10.2

sanreel is offline New Member

Default Zimbra 5 and opensuse 10.2

Hi

why does zimbra not provide a 5.x version for opensuse 10.x. ?
    We bought the network edition for 50 users and now we realize that version 5 has no support for opensuse.
    Is there any reason only to support suse enterprise?

Shouldn't your sales consultants be aware of the issue that version 5 has or 'would have' no support for opensuse?
    We bought the licence last year before version 5 was released and we were told: no problem to upgrade....

regards
    S

partner is offline Intermediate Member

FYI, I successfully deployed Zimbra 5.0.2 GA on openSuse 10.2

The installation in fact was not all that difficult. Granted I had some issues to resolve but that was more due to my lack of experience with Zimbra and Opensuse than the quality of the programs themself.

I will post a link to the success story in a bit with the ins and outs of my quest to get it all up and running.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by partner View Post
    FYI, I successfully deployed Zimbra 5.0.2 GA on openSuse 10.2

The installation in fact was not all that difficult. Granted I had some issues to resolve but that was more due to my lack of experience with Zimbra and Opensuse than the quality of the programs themself.

I will post a link to the success story in a bit with the ins and outs of my quest to get it all up and running.
    I presume you are talking about the Open Source version of Zimbra? The post above is about the Network Edition and that is not supported on any version of openSUSE from version 5.x onwards.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

dotel is offline Member

I am running on OpenSuse 10.2. I use Open suse alot here for my workstations.
    However The Lifecycle for opensuse is very short, and the huge changes between "minor" revisions 10.1 to 10.2 to 10.3 are huge. Requiring major changes between installers for each upgrade. The upgrades from Novell in open suse lack the consistency that the enterprise level servers have. This leads to high probability of breaking your Zimbra server when you do an Update of OpenSuse. It's Not IMPOSSIBLE to do. However not recommended. I unfortunately have a production server running Zimbra on Open Suse. When I get time I will be rebuilding my server with the enterprise version, or perhaps even a different OS all together.
    Andrew Baker
    www.fosug.org

tgx
    tgx is offline Elite Member

I am running Zimbra 5.0.2 on OpenSuSE 10.2
    in VMware Server on OpenSuSE 10.2..
    I really don't see an issue with it as long as
    10.2 remains on the long term support window
    for the OpenSuSE project. Once it becomes obsoleted
    then it could become an issue. OpenSuSE really
    isn't any more or less affected by the the change and
    muses of any other Linux even with its frequent release.
    SLES is just taking a fixed point in time for the OS and maintaining
    it at that level with patches update etc without sending out
    earth shaking application breaking new technologies. For SLES
    stability is key. The same stability is in OpenSuSE at the point in
    time that they decided to base SLES on. If you want to go with
    OpenSuSE, choose a variant that you are comfortable
    with, that in its present state is stable and functions well and plan on
    keeping it for a number of years. Don't plan
    on updating to another point release instead focus only on
    keeping it in tune with security fixes and recommended
    updates. TEST those before you deploy them or at
    least ensure you have a rollback plan. You CAN run
    an enterprise class system on OpenSuSE it just takes
    more planning. By buying an Enterpise release you are simply
    outsourcing the task to someone else. Base your decision
    on costs and your comfort level. When the time comes to jump
    point releases, I guarantee unless you are on the bleeding edge, someone
    else will have gone before you and will be able to tell you what not to
    do to get to that next release.

Best Wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    I presume you are talking about the Open Source version of Zimbra? The post above is about the Network Edition and that is not supported on any version of openSUSE from version 5.x onwards.
    Yes I am talking about the open source edition. The reason I posted was that this is in fact all open source and if it comes to open source you have to do some home work and one of them being to explore the successful configurations before you purchase or even deploy something. It is too easy to blame the sales or whatever people for your own shortcoming. If I manage to deploy the open source edition on openSUSE 10.2 I figure that the network edition should be possible too. Granted it wont work at your leisure by a few clicks on a button but I am confident the differences between opensource and boxed versions are not in all that much different.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by partner View Post
    If I manage to deploy the open source edition on openSUSE 10.2 I figure that the network edition should be possible too.
    Certainly you can install the Open Source version of Zimbra on any platform you like but the point of my reply was that the Network Edition 5.x version is not tested and not built for openSUSE, if a user installs NE on that version they will not receive support from us for that installation.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Coming to talk about it, this is open source, you are in command!

Why stick to one distro if the other is supported unless you like me have familiarised yourself with a specific distro in casu opensuse. You are free to choose something else, as said all is based on open source and I appreciate the hard labor everyone is putting into this open source community to make all our lives a better one without having to bleed for the ever increasing $hunger of commercial systems. I am glad there is an answer to m$ and if it means I have to roll up my sleeves than so be it. If you like to spend a few or even more than a few $ on software go knock yourself out and spend like crazy. If you think that with those your life will be easy in the cyberworld think again, it wont. If you want some support than please do make use of the open source community and buy there boxed versions, but please don' t be a cheapo and appreciate what you get. Zimbra in any state or version rocks and prevents me from spending thousands of $ for some other peace of software that like all will have some flaws if not more. spending all these thousands is not a guarantee that you get what you expect. My thought is that if you have spent that much you are too afraid to admit you are a fool by spending all of that for some crappy work whilst you might get even better for close to nothing except a little effort from yourself.

Keep it up Zimbra Team, your software rocks!

Bill Brock is offline Outstanding Member

It's unfortunate that you bought their NE and didn't check the system requirements. I find this to be the biggest problem with OSS, different distro's can work so much differently.

If it's any consolation, I run 5.0.5 FOSS on open SuSE 10.2 and love it. Backups are the only thing I miss that aren't included.

I wished they supported 5.0.2 open SuSE 10.3. I'm going to try the combo anyway and see if I can make it work.

Bill Brock is offline Outstanding Member

I meant 5.0.2 FOSS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information