Thread: Splitting mailbo server

bmcdonald is offline OpenSource Builder

Default Splitting mailbo server

I'm currently running 4.5.10 under Ubuntu 6.06.1-LTS on a single server. I have an issue requiring our server to be split out onto several servers including at least 3 separate mailbox servers. I have already split off an MTA onto vmware-server under gentoo Linux and am working on moving the LDAP server to it's own virtual server as well. The procedures for both of these were well documented and quite clear. However, moving mailboxes around is not so straightforward.

If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

Also, should we migrate to 5.0.2 before splitting the mailbox server?

Thanks,

Bob
    Zimbra NE 4.5.10 on Ubuntu 6.06 lts

Hopefully, someday on Gentoo!

mmorse is offline Moderator

Hey Bob,
    As your sig says "Zimbra NE 4.5.10 on Ubuntu 6.06 lts" you probably want CLI zmmailboxmove Network Edition only - Zimbra :: Wiki to avoid lots of imapsync work & rest/curl exporting/importing (FOSS would use these methods: User Migration - Zimbra :: Wiki)

Might be easier to upgrade first... 4.5.11 & 5.0.2 Released!
    -Though it doesn't sound like it yet, but if you are planning on ldap replicas as well you avoid the workaround listed in that post.
    That mta totally separate/not part of the multi-server setup/acting as an edge mta I gather?

bmcdonald is offline OpenSource Builder

Actually, it has more to do with maximizing the utilization of the base system hardware when running VMWare. I've plotted out separating individual mta, ldap, and mailbox servers. VMware has a certain amount of performance loss and I'm trying to get around that by creating multiple virtual machines for the various functions of Zimbra. (The performance loss seems to be exacerbated when virtualizing multiple CPUs) To make a long story short, I've got some great hardware but don't want to invest in licensed copies of Linux OS software to make it perform to it's potential. (I'm trying to maximize my experience utilizing free versions of everything but Zimbra) This particular server provides several other functions to my network besides Zimbra. I'd be glad to share any and all of my experiences when I get this completed.

Regards,

Bob
    Zimbra NE 4.5.10 on Ubuntu 6.06 lts

Hopefully, someday on Gentoo!

Thread Information